Is It All In My Head

I'm going to see Shawn Mullins tonight at the Egg. Dar Williams is also playing. Mostly, I'm excited about Shawn Mullins. If you'll remember, I saw him at the Linda back in March, I think. (I'd have to scroll through the blog to find out the exact date; I could probably also include a link to the entry that I wrote about the concert and meeting Shawn, but I'm not going to be that thorough right now). I'm not sure if the concert is going to be a full band show or a solo thing or what. Either way it will cool, I'm sure. Hopefully, I'll get some pictures.





------




A little while ago, I shooed a bird out of my basement. Somehow it had come down the chimney and was making scuttering noises inside of the little metal door that opens in my basement, which alerted the cat, who in turn alerted Stephanie, who -- of course -- alerted me. I checked it out with a flashlight and confirmed that it was indeed a bird. I closed the metal door, found some gloves, grabbed a box, and was trying to think of a creative way to open the door, snag the bird, put it in the box, and run outside with it -- when the bird found its own way out of the little metal door and proceeded to fly around my basement.

The cat was chasing it all over the place. It was flying into windows trying to escape and flying away from the cat when she got too close.

There is one window in my basement that doesn't have a screen in it. I opened that and propped it open. Then, I turned off all the lights and chased the bird in that direction.

And it worked. Not quite sure what kind of bird it was, though.




-----




At Lena's this week, Casey and Dave (aka: Almost Awake) made an appearance. It was good to see them; however, they came with sad news: they are moving to Cortland, which is further away than we want them to be. Still, they invited us to visit and possibly play gigs and that is pretty cool of them.

Since it was their last night, I talked them into being filmed for Inside the Open Mic. Maybe next week, I'll have that video complete and posted in this blog.

Before going to Lena's, Stephanie and I went to Starbucks. I sneezed like three times before ordering and the Barista commented that ragweed is high this year and I said, "I know. My allergies keep getting worse and worse." We proceeded to talk about how eating locally harvested honey can help to lessen the severity of your allergies and that you can get locally harvested honey at farmers' markets. I had ordered a tea and was going to put honey in it (I love honey in tea, and a little milk), when the same Barista said, "Here, use this" and put jar of honey on the counter. He said it was from his own bees and that I could have it. It is really delicious honey. I've had it twice so far.

I'm not really sure if my allergies are getting better because of the honey or the rain, but they are getting better. Maybe it's a combination of both. Still, the honey was an awesome gift from a stranger.