Fu-Ki

Last night some friends of Stephanie came over to make sushi and tempura and eat it. I have had sushi before, of course, but have never made it myself. It proved to be fun -- five people around a table cutting vegetables, fish, and such, telling stories and making jokes. Particularly, jokes about the possible pronunciation of the wine that we were going to drink. Here is a picture:



Friday night was Rock Band 2 (as always). I decided to use some colored light bulbs to make stage lights. I also set up this neon guitar light that I have to add to the ambiance. Some might consider this to be a bit ridiculous. I don't.



And Thursday was quite possibly one of the best open mics ever! There was a very long list: 29 performers. I had to make the call that it was a one-song night, but I added that if people stuck around, I would go through the list again and let people play an additional song. There were a lot of great performances throughout the night and about seven or so performers stayed to the end and played again. The additional performances were cool, maybe more laid back. And that made it a lot of fun. Steve's cover of Carole King's "It's Too Late" was particularly cool.

Another highlight of the night was Rachel VanSlyke (rhyming unintentional), who I had heard on the radio some time last year, found on myspace, and messaged back and forth now and again. She is originally from Johnstown, which is where I live, and is quite possibly one of the most amazing singers I have ever heard. Her songs are well-written and have a pop feel to them that does not come across as being forced. She sounds like what Jewel used to be or could have been and I like that about Rachel's music. I bought her CD and have been playing it quite a lot the past few days.

It's almost noon. I have got to get to work on Inside the Open Mic. I filmed Drew Jacobs a few weeks ago and plan to debut that episode at the end of March. However, I have to finish the episode the features Kyle Miller. It's almost done, but it debuts later this week. Right. Of to work.