Cacoon

It's Thursday night and I should be at open mic at Caffe Lena. However, the roads are pretty bad thanks to two hours of intense snowing, followed by, freezing rain. I'm also trying to fight a cold that has been steadily winning since this past weekend.

I'm also freezing to death. I have the heat on a little higher than usual and I'm laying on my bed, which has an electric blanket under the sheets, but I'm still chilled to the core.

Not too long ago, I posted about a renaissance in my life. Since that post, I have done some cleaning out -- if you will -- of my possessions. I sold my couch. I sold my TV. I am attempting to sell or give away a plethora of other things.

This confuses the heck out of people.

Most recently, a co-worker suggested that she was worried that I was giving away all of my stuff because I intended (she may have been joking) to commit suicide. My response to this was: "If I was really going to kill myself, I would be giving away everything, not selling it!" I added that I'm not trying to get rid of my most prized possessions: my guitar (and other music related things), my clothes/fedoras, and my laptop. I'm also not selling my bed and a couple shelving units.

But I am trying to get rid of a boat load of other things. For money.

I'm saving up for an electric guitar and an amp... but that's a story for another time.

I find that I have to explain myself to a lot of people. And they ask me a lot of questions. They ask my why I don't do such-and-such instead. Or, what are going to do when you don't have any things?

Christ, people. What's the point in owning a TV if you never watch it? What is the point of having a couch if you never sit on it? Why do I want shelves upon shelves full of collectible things when I can sell that stuff and buy things that I'll use or to go to places that I haven't seen.

True. I used to watch TV. I used to sit on and sleep on a couch. I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of the things I have collected. I don't anymore.

When the co-worker recently questioned my actions in selling many of my belongings, I came up with a metaphor on that spot.

I said,

"I'm like a caterpillar. I spent my life climbing a tree and building a cacoon around myself. The cacoon has been a big part of my life, but it's held me in for far too long. I'm finally breaking out and spreading my beautiful wings. I'm a lovely, colorful butterfly."

Yes. I did use the words "beautiful" and "lovely."