Caribbean Cruise & Hollywood, Fl Jan/Feb 2017 Part 5

2/1/17 11:58pm 
Lido Deck, Carnival Conquest, Caribbean Ocean


"Oh. I get it.

The Mega Deck Party is not a Mega Party on the Deck. Rather it’s a party (a term, which is used quite loosely) on the deck, which is mega in size. In other words, the deck is mega. The party is... not. There are a few people here and there hanging out, but not much is going on…"


I wrote this at 10:54pm. Just after taking this picture:

It was six minutes before the Mega Deck Party was to begin. I walked to the Red Frog Rum Bar and ordered a pina colada. I put my man bag down. Then, the DJ started. The cruise director and a bunch of the cruise staff came out on the deck and within in minutes an actual mega party broke out!






I joined a conga line, which led to a limbo stick and a human tunnel. The next forty minutes were a marathon of party line dances: the Cha Cha Slide, the Cupid Shuffle, the Macarena, Wobble, and a bunch of others. The cruise director and staff led the dances and tossed out beads and glow necklaces and bracelets.

The deck became packed in a matter of moments and the Mega Deck Party was actually pretty awesome! I am sweaty and my sinuses are sh!t and I just finished a bowl of chocolate ice cream (which is really chocolate flavored ice water) and now I’m going to bed.

Funny story: I took this picture at some point before the Mega Deck Party.


Just after snapping it, I was clicking my phone to take a second picture. At that instant, a slight breeze picked up and blew J. Fred MocLegoman off the railing. Here is the second picture:


I went down two levels and searched around in the dark using my phone's flashlight app. I found J. Fred, but his hat had fallen off in the fall. I found it after another minute of searching.

Long after returning from the trip, I shared these pictures and story on instagram. The Official Lego instagram account commented on the pictures, saying they were glad I found my mini figure. I thought that was cute of them.



-----------------------------------------


2/2/17 Noon 
Puerta Maya, Cozumel, Mexico

I am sitting on the waterfront at a bar at the port. Just drinking water (bottled – by the way) and relaxing, taking in the sights and sounds.


The Georgetown, Grand Cayman port was seriously lame in comparison to Cozumel. The immediate port area here is filled with shops and restaurants, kiosks and performers. It’s lively and fun. Some merchants are annoying and you can’t look in the direction of a shop without someone trying to sell you something. “No thanks” is always on the tip of my tongue as I walk amongst the throng.




I woke up this morning rather tired from yesterday’s excursion and last night’s Mega Deck Party. I reset my alarm for an hour later and when that was up, I snoozed multiple times before dragging myself out of bed. There was an announcement that we were in port, but the customs check was taking longer than expected, so we wouldn’t be able to leave the ship for another twenty to thirty minutes.

Once up, I changed and packed my bag. I went up to the Lido Deck for breakfast and watched as the Carnival Freedom slowly pulled in to port. Freedom was at Cayman’s yesterday, too, and I couldn’t help thinking, “Ha. Beatcha!”




After breakfast, I walked along the top deck and saw some of the other ships (Carnival Glory and Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas) that were in port.








(Puerta Playa, Cozumel, Mexico!)

I made my way to the elevator and ran into Kelly (sans Jim, but with another couple) and we went to the bottom deck. Kelly introduced me to the couple and I apologized for flaking on dinner last night. I was invited to dinner again tonight, which is the second elegant night. The other couple (whose names I've already forgotten) are also on my excursion today. I lost them in the deboarding process, but found them again in the port. Kelly asked for a picture of me and my Lego me. Then we wished each other well and went our separate ways.

I booked it through the port market (which was huge) and quickly walked about two blocks to Hard Rock. There was a little square fountain and such in the courtyard area there. I stopped and took some pictures.








(Hard Rock Cafe selfie count: 3)











The pins were… expensive. I may have been ripped off somewhere in the pesos to dollars exchange. Oh well. The pin collection needs to grow.


I went back to the port market area and wandered around leisurely, taking in the sights and sounds and such. I wonder how much of this port is true Mexican culture and how much is “McCulture,” IE: just a show to get people to spend money.









(Photobombed again!)




Nothing jumped out at me as needing to be bought (it was mostly cheapish knickknacks and trinkets), so I found some shade – it’s so hot (stifling even!) – and pulled out the Moleskine notebook.











I have a really amazing view of cruise ships in port. Mine is the second one from the right, I think.














I’d say this is the coolest port I’ve ever been to as far as the immediate port area is concerned. It’s pretty with it's colors and exciting with it's shops and bars/restaurants and it's delightful with music and performers.





I could sit here all day. But, it's time to go change into my swimming suit and try to find out where I’m supposed to meet my excursion group. Snorkeling, Catamaran, Beach Break.