Caribbean Cruise & Hollywood, Fl Jan/Feb 2017 Part 9

2/5/7 1:25pm 
The Taco Spot, Hollywood Beach, Florida

I found no party last night, but wandered the length of the boardwalk to the south (about a mile and a half). Maybe tonight, I’ll go north.

I went to bed around midnight and woke up at 9:30 this morning. I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, put on my swimming trunks and headed to the beach. I stopped off to buy a cheap beach mat on the way.


Today is only slightly less crowded than yesterday, but I found a spot about 15 feet from the water and sprawled out in the sun.

When I got too hot, I took a dip in the ocean. The water is colder than the Caribbean, but still very warm. And still very clear!









The ocean is turquoise out to a certain distance and then it becomes a standard blue. Where I was in the ocean earlier, the water closest to shore was cloudy with sand churned up, but once I got out past the breakers, it was clear enough to count my toes even though the water was up above my waist.


I napped a little bit on the beach mat with my straw hat over my face. The sound of the waves breaking intermittently on the shore and the general ebbs and flows of nearby conversations supplemented my playlist as I was gently rocked into sleep. 


At 1:00pm, I was getting hungry, so I made a quick stop back at my room before coming here to the Taco Spot for lunch (tacos, of course!). Delicious!














I’m watching a beach volleyball game while people rollerblade and bike by on the boardwalk.


The area is primarily Latino and much of the conversations that are taking place around me are in Spanish. 















----------------------------

2/6/17 12:15pm 
Caribbean Resort by the Ocean, Room 204, Hollywood Beach, Florida 

(NOTE: This next entry was mostly illegible as I was quite drunk while writing. It was full of nonsense and ramblings. I decided not to post it here. So I'm going to type up a brief synopsis of what I did and was doing)

After lunch, I returned to the beach and alternated between laying in the sun and dipping in the ocean.



When the sun started to go down, I noticed that it was approaching a palm tree as it descended and would make a great photo opportunity. 

I surmised that it had about a half an hour to go before reaching the palm tree, so I set up J.Fred MocLegoman and read while I waited.






I tried a few different angles and played with the macro settings on my iphone camera app.





After taking my pics, I returned to my room, showered, dressed, and decided to walk south along the boardwalk to see what I could see. I came to the Taco Bar (not to be confused with the Taco Spot), which was actually about a block away from the boardwalk.

I ordered nachos and a mojto and sat where I could watch the Superbowl on TV. Atlanta was winning. 


I became quite buzzed from the first mojito and when it was finished, I decided to get another one. To order my drink, I had to talk up to a window (like when you go to get ice cream) and when I turned around there was a young woman sitting alone who had really cool glasses. I told her I liked her glasses and we talked for the rest of the Superbowl. She said her name is Val and she is a doctor who is doing her rotation here in Florida before going to Chicago for her residency. She has been to the Taco Bar several times and the bartender and servers know her there, so she feels safe drinking alone. Val told me about Centenarians, who are people who live past 100. She explained how she has been reading about them and how a healthy lifestyle, particularly in regards to diet, is a factor in most Centenarians. She talked about her healthy eating and I told her that I, too, have adopted a healthy lifestyle: exercising, eating healthy. She mentioned that she doesn't eat red meat and I said, "it's funny that you should mention that, because I recently made the decision to cut out red meat since I rarely eat it anyway." Of course, my next step was to show Val pictures of J. Fred MocLegoman (because that's what you do when you've had two mojitos) and the first two pictures that popped up are of Lego me standing on top of giant cheeseburgers. (The Red Meat Count on this 10 day vacation is already 8! When not on vacation, I don't have this much red meat -- seriously, I swear!)

When New England came back and won, we were both pretty shocked and I said, "I think I need another mojito," which is something I wish I hadn't said because we then ordered more drinks and drank them and I was already drunk.

I implored Val to follow J.Fred MocLegoman on instagram, because I was very drunk. She did (however, she unfollowed me a couple weeks later) and I explained to her why I take pictures of the Lego guy instead of pictures of myself. Lego me is more photogenic and just all around a whole heck of a lot cuter.

Val Ubered a ride and I drunk-walked back along the boardwalk to my hotel, where I decided to write a bunch of gibberish in my journal.