Nola/Mexico Cruise Adventure Part 6

Wednesday 1/31/18 8:48pm
Caribbean, Carnival Triumph, Alchemy Bar

Last night was “Elegant Night.” My friends and I took turns getting dolled up for a nice dinner. I left the room and went up to the lobby bar around 6pm where I ordered my first martini of the evening. While waiting for my friends, I noted the photo ops set up around the lobby. One of them was a chaise lounge in front of a black background with a chandelier and I got an idea. I asked the photographer if he would help me out with some goofy pictures to show my friends later on. I wish I could have bought all of them… there were some funny poses.




My friends arrived not long after and we got in line for dinner. It seems that 6pm is a popular dinner time. Our dinner room is right off of the lobby. (*NOTE: I didn’t tell my friends about the photo shoot; later on, I told them that I wanted to show them something and brought them to the photo section for a surprise. The photographer who took the pictures was actually there. I thanked him again for humoring me and taking those photos).

I ordered some chicken dish and a salad. Both were pretty good. Right after dinner, we went to the showroom for the show, which was pretty much your typical singing and dancing and general cheesiness. We sat in the first row of the balcony, so we had a really good vantage point. It was entertaining enough and it was nice to get dressed up, drink a fancy drink, and go to a theater for a show.

After the show, my friends went back to the room and I went back to the lobby. There was an 80s trivia game and I got nine out of ten songs – some of which, I guessed on the first note. I ordered my second martini and met two young women, Dawn and Liz, from Utah (I think). Liz asked me about my martini and I explained that I prefer gin because I have never been able to drink vodka. She said she used to be the same way until she hit forty. She suggested that when I turn forty, I should try vodka. I explained that I had just turned forty. Dawn was shocked to learn how old I am and said that she put me in my late twenties. I thanked her. She asked me if I could guess her age. I asked if she wanted me to be 100% accurate or 100% flattering. She said, “don’t be flattering,” so I guessed thirty two. She was thirty three. Dawn talked about her kids and husband who were with her on the cruise. She and Liz were having a ladies night without their families. McKenzie arrived as Dawn and Liz were leaving for the show.


McKenzie and I hung out for a bit and then we went to karaoke. At some point, McKenzie left. Amber and Raven showed up. Amber talked a lot about her art. She told me to look up “Turk” on facebook to see her work (I did look it up, but didn’t find any artwork). Amber bumped into my drink at one point and spilled a good portion of it. I picked on her about knocking drinks over. She offered to buy me another, but I said I would have to take a rain check as I was quite buzzed already.  Amber asked me where the bathroom was, so I showed her. After a few moments, I started to wonder if I was supposed to wait for her or just go back to karaoke. I was standing in the hallway in which there is a big picture window into the club and I noticed a group of young women were waving at me from the club, so I smiled and waved back. Then they started beckoning me to join them, so I obliged. There was a small group of not just women that steadily grew as the group that beckoned me to join continued to beckon everyone that they saw. It became a dance party with everyone taking turns doing some “moves” in between two lines of the rest of us -- ya know, dance party stuff.

After a few songs, I saw Amber in the hallway talking to a few guys. I hurried out of the club and brought her, Raven, and the guys to the club. Amber and I danced briefly, but she eventually pulled away. I went and drank two glasses of water because I was parched from all the dancing. The women who initially invited me to the club left with some guys. Raven left with a young man and Amber disappeared.

I left the club and went up to the Lido Deck to stare out over the ocean at night. I ran into a couple of guys who recognized me from karaoke, Alan (Adam?) and Scott. I don’t remember where they said they are from. Illinois, maybe? We talked about Karaoke and women and the state of being a single male in America. I don’t recall exactly what we decided that to be, but I’m sure it was a real deep conversation. We chatted while “Kingsman: the Golden Circle” played on the huge Dive In Movies screen. My black fedora blew off my head twice, but luckily landed where I could easily pick it up.

I decided to go see if I could get pizza (I really needed some food), so I excused myself and told Alan/Adam and Scott that I would catch them later. I went to the aft deck to the twenty-four hour pizza place. There were no pizza slices ready at the moment, but there was a plate of cookies. I took a couple and wandered the ship for a bit before returning to the stateroom and calling it a night.

(There aren't very many pictures in this post, so here are some pictures of the towel animals we've collected thus far).