Nola/Mexico Cruise Adventure Part 8

Several months after the cruise.
Home.

The rest of my notebook is a mess… I jotted down bullet points of what we did and things that happened so that I could recall them in order when I found time to write. I figured that I would at least get to write while on the plane ride home, but I really wasn’t feeling like writing because I had drank too much on the last night of the cruise.

To the best of my recollection (using pictures and bullet points in my notebook), here follows what happened next (*Note: it is a full seven months after the trip as I write this):

After writing at the Alchemy Bar on Wednesday 1/31, I went to Karaoke. I do not remember what I sang. I do not remember what I did after that. I might have gone to bed somewhat earlyish. The following morning (2/1), was breakfast with friends. We walked up to the top deck and looked out at the port of Progresso, Mexico. McKenzie and I scheduled an excursion to some Mayan ruins (Dzibilchaltun) and a tour of Merida, Mexico. Kylie couldn’t come due to being pregnant and the concern about Zika virus, so she remained on the ship.





McKenzie and I deboarded the ship and followed the throng of people to the little port area. The port itself is at the end of a long pier (it may actually be multiple miles long). We decided to walk around the port area before meeting our excursion group. It was nothing exciting. Pretty much the same stuff as at the Cozumel port: restaurants, bars, shops, touristy junk.






Eventually, we located our excursion group and hung out for a bit before being led through the port again to an awaiting bus. It was hot, but the bus was nice and cool. Our tour guide, whose name I can’t recall, was a young woman with a bright smile. She talked about the tour and tourism and Mexico as the bus drove the long length of the pier. Once off the pier, we had another long ride through Mexico to reach the ruins.


When we arrived, we were led along a path to the entrance to the ruins site. There was a newish building sort of in the middle of a wooded area that served as the entrance to the ruins. Then, we were led along another path to site. The site itself was large with different buildings at different ends of the site. We stopped from time to time and the tour guide talked about the various buildings. Ya know, history type stuff. We took lots of pictures. I brought the Kylie Lego along so that she wouldn’t feel like she was missing out.










At one point, we were given the option to climb to the top of the pyramid thing. McKenzie stayed on the ground and took some pictures as I climbed to the top. It was steep, steeper than it appeared from the ground. From the top, I could see around the entire site.










Then we were led to a cenote, which is essentially a spring. We were given the option to take a dip if we wanted to, but no one did.  Then, we were led back to our bus. It was so hot out and the air conditioning on the bus was wonderful.







We were taken to a local brewery where we were treated to a Yucatecan meal, which consisted of two mini tacos and chicken which was cooked underground apparently. It was really good. I had a beer. It was hoppy.






We loaded back into the bus and were taken a short ways into the city of Merida. The bus stopped at a park/square sort of thing and let us off to do whatever we wanted for about a half an hour or so. McKenzie and I got separated at some point as I wandered around taking pictures of Lego. We met back up and hung out in the shade with our group. Then, we got back on the bus and were taken back to the port.




















We walked through the port and returned to the ship, met back up with Kylie, and planned dinner. I don’t remember what we had. We may have eaten in the buffet or had burgers. We had ice cream. Ky and Kenze did a really good job making picture perfect ice cream cones. Mine came out like this:





My friends joined me at karaoke.



Afterwards, I went to the Mega Deck Party. There was dancing for about twenty five minutes. At one point, I found myself doing the chicken dance with one of the Carnival Fun Squad. As we linked arms and bounced around in a circle, I looked around and realized there were only about ten or so other groups doing the same thing. It felt like much less of a party than the Mega Deck Party on my last cruise.


My friends disappeared at some point and I think I met back up with them later for pizza at the twenty four hour pizza place.


(to be continued)