More Roadkill (this time damage is done)

I took a road trip this weekend to Watertown, New York--home of the Miss New York State Pageant and Jreck Subs (and, as far as I can tell, nothing else). Watertown was probably a quaint area at one time or another; however, its quiet main street shops are in the midst of a brutal take over by a hideous insurgence of the usual big box retail stores. This is most evident in the difference between the town's main road last year and this year--five new "giants" have been in built in that time. It was quite shocking to say the least.

Now that the setting has been... well... set, let's move on the tale.

Stephanie and I were driving down the main road when an odd scent wafted into my typically reliable vehicle. My first thought was that someone else's car was in a state of disrepair and that the owner had better be on his or her way to the garage. It was then brought to my attention that smoke was appearing near the hood of my car like little ghosts escaping from the engine. I checked my guages; they were all fine. What could the problem be? Nothing serious, right? I pulled over into a church parking lot and popped the hood. When I stepped out of the car I could smell a nasty scent and I could hear, not a drip-drip, but a splash-splash, which indicated to me that something quite serious was "amatter." I lifted the hood and a pinkish liquid of some sort had exploded all over everything--thus the smoke, scent, and splash. I lowered myself down to the ground to check underneath my car. More of that liquid covered the ground like the blood of my vehicle spilled mercilessly by its enemy.

(flashback)

The night before this incident, was a Thursday night Caffe Lena open mic night. The drive home from Saratoga was not at all easy, as a thick fog often plagued the road. At more than one point I slowed down to less than 40 miles per hour just so I could see where the road was. Suddenly, a dark object appeared before me. I started to brake and swerve, but it was too late. The fog had concealed the... whatever it was. *Bump* It was not a smash or a crash that would indicate cause for alarm; it was just a little bump. I didn't think that anything had happened to my car, so I didn't bother to check it out.

(flash forward)

Seconds after I saw the liquid pooling underneath my car, my eyes were drawn to the radiator (for those of you who do not know what the radiator is Click Here and scroll down). Sticking out of it was many black and white spikes--yes, spikes.

Porcupine.

Now, what are the chances that I hit this porcupine only weeks after writing about hitting a bunny? Is there an influx of suicidal animals in our area? If so, why do I continually find myself to be a part of it?

To make a long story a little shorter,I had to spend 230 dollars to get my car fixed. That is 230 dollars that I could have spent on my school loans or some music equipment or the trip to Florida that I am about embark on.

I'm sending the family of the deceased porcupine a bill.