The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

It is the hottest day of 2006.

What have I done thus far with myself?

In the am (when it was just hot; not yet too hot), I awoke.

I ate breakfast while checking my email and watching various non-sensical videos on www.utube.com.

I showered.

I dressed (in light clothing).

I dragged seven or so blankets down stairs to my computer room.

I set up chairs in the computer room in the shape of a square minus one side.

I draped the blankets over the chairs.

I set up microphones in the center of the three sided square and plugged in the microphones to a mixer which inturn got plugged into my computer.

I started to record.

Recording sucks. It sucks worse on the hottest day of the year when one's only wish is to sit in an air conditioned room with an iced latte in one hand and The Lord of the Rings in the other. However, I have already wasted half of the summer and I have no new recordings to show for it. My thoughts are thus: I need to record; I need to have a CD. This need is based on the following reasons. 1) In order to get gigs I need to have some sort of recording to show the people at the venue what I am all about. 2) It would be nice to have something for listeners to take with them when they leave a gig.

I spent three hours (three sweaty hours, mind you) recording. I have zilch to show for it. For those of you who wonder what zilch means, substitute one of the following: zero, nothing, nada.

The blankets did nothing to reduce the echo that I thought was coming from the room. I now have no idea where the booming echo is coming from. I'm lost at this and am completely clueless as to what step to take next.

I need help--recording help. I have decided that I will simply pay for studio time and get a professional sound engineer to make me sound good. Too much is riding on it. I want a great sounding CD--I think my songs deserve it. However, it costs money; and, many of you who are reading this already know that I currently do not have a job.

Therefore, I am simply waiting... to start work in another month and a half or to sell my PA system, which will give me a little dough to work with.

However, this waiting is tough... especially on the hottest day of the year.



On a happier note, I am excited about a new song that I have been playing at the open mic night. It is called Sink or Swim and is essencially about being in your late twenties and having to face the decision to become an adult. It is not an easy choice. Behind you lay the artifacts of your childhood--the games and the rides--which made you happy, but will never do so in the same way again. While in front of you is your adult life--the job, the house, the responsibilities--which is completely unknown to you and is quite scary. You hesitate.

You'll have to listen to the song (if I ever get it recorded!!!) to find out what happens.

I'm going to go read The Lord of the Rings in my air conditioned bed room. 'til next time.