Moon & River

I played last Saturday at the Moon & River Cafe in Schenectady, NY. It's a great little place for music of the soft spoken variety, such as my own. However, this past Saturday, I played with Phil Drum, Dave Scheffel, and Bob Redman--three excellent muscicians who often play at Caffe Lena's open mic.

It was a cool show. We played loudly, though. Phil opened with a solo set; although, Dave joined him on harmonica for a song or three. Bob joined him once or twice as well. Then Bob played a set. He had Phil and Dave play along with quite a few of his songs. Then I played solo.

Here follows my set list with which musicians joined me on which songs:

Endless
Passenger
In Your Dreams
Sink or Swim (W/Phil Drum)
Crayons (W/Dave Scheffel)
Breaking Free (W/Phil and Dave)
Phila Street Serenade (W/Phil, Bob, and Dave)

It was cool having others play along with my originals. Phil really nailed the solos and--dare I say it--fills on Sink or Swim and Dave played a nice back up harmonica on Crayons.

After my set, we all got up together and played a set of sing-along type covers. Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone came out really well and was a lot of fun. So was Hide Your Love Away by The Beatles. We also did What's Up by the Four Non-Blondes and Kermit the Frog's Rainbow Connection, which was pretty rough as I've never played it with people before; plus, it's a actually a tough song--there are a lot of chords. We played The Weight by The Band with out having practiced it. Even so, it came out pretty good and was a load of fun to play. We had a little trouble getting the "and... and... and..." part right, but on the last chorus, it sounded pretty good. We also played Yellow Submarine and Moon Dance, as well as, there other songs that I can't remember at the moment.

There was a nice sized crowd for the Moon & River; most of them were relatives or wives or fiances of the performers--but all that matters is that people were listening and not leaving, which is always a good thing!