Snow Days

It's winter time--there's no more doubting about it. We got three feet of snow in two days, I think. Crazy. What's most crazy about it is that all the local schools closed for three days! Not one, not two, but three. Which means that kids got an extra long vacation as this current week is their winter break. This also means that teachers and substitute teachers and school counselors and principals and what not, all get get extra time off too. It's a great benefit of working in the education system. Breaks and snow days--you can't beat that!

So, in this free time that I have, I have been setting up some gigs with the area venues. I have a couple dates set in stone, but I still need to hear back from a few other places. I'm planning on gigging like crazy for April, May, and June. I might play one in July too.

I'm also learning some new covers and trying to write a new song or two. I've fallen in love with the Gin Blossoms again. They were one of my favortie bands when I was younger... which was longer ago than I wish it was... . I'm learning a few of their tunes to play at gigs (I know, they aren't folk, but their songs are cool!). To combat the not-folkiness of the Gin Blossoms songs, I'm learning House of the Risings Sun as well, which is great for two reasons: 1) it's a very traditional song (tradition is good for folk musicians), 2) it's in a minor key (I write a lot of songs in major keys--go figure).

I also wrote a new song called Saving the World. Actually, it's not a new song; it's just a song that I wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote again and hated every step of the way. Now, I like it. I think I finally got it to say what I meant for it say from the beginning. Although, I'm not too excited about the last two lines... Maybe, I'll think of something better and end up re-writing it again... .

So, I've done a lot of shoveling in the past week. I'm sure you have too (unless you are not from New York, which would prompt me to ask: how did you end up here?).

Speaking of snow and shoveling, how weird is this: my neighbors didn't do a thing to remove snow (their house is for sale and I'm not entirely sure that they even live in it currently). Their driveway grew and grew, as well, as the sidewalk in front of their house. Now, our driveways are right next to each other; all that seperates them is a small (about two and a half feet) line of grass. Today, I hear machinery or trucks or something so I go and look out my front window... nothing. Then suddenly out of nowhere a bulldozer (not a plow, an actually bulldozer) comes backing out of my driveway. I then looked out the side window and watched the bulldozer come again and push snow into my neighbor's back yard. No knock on my door. No "Hey, we want to use a bulldozer in your driveway. Do you mind?" Nothing. I wouldn't have minded, if they had just asked; but, no one did. Weird.


'til next time.