A Concert Survey

Because of the upcoming Pete Yorn concert that I am unbelievably excited about, I decided to pilfer the following concert survey from a myspace friend's bulletin. The answers, of course, are my own.

First concert?:
Huey Lewis and the News (if you can believe it) at SPAC; I was twelve. My second concert was Bryan Adams (of Summer of '69 fame) at the Knickerbocker Arena (a.k.a. The PepsiArena, a.k.a. The Times Union Center). We were on the floor a good distance from the stage, but there was a smaller stage near us that Bryan and band played a three or four song set on. It was pretty cool.

Last concert?:
The last concert I saw was Jewel. It was a solo acoustic show, which--as a solo acoustic performer--was of great interest to me. It was at the Palace Theater in Albany. We waited around outside before the show and took a picture of Jewel as she hastily walked from her tour bus into the theater.

Next concert?:
PETE YORN!! w00t!! I'm hugely excited about this. @ the Egg in Albany on March 13th. Seats in row A. Can't wait. I may post pictures.

How many concerts have you been to?:
Many. I could check my concert diary--a scrapbook in which I collect tickets, pictures, and other memorabilia associated with concerts that I have attended (including guitar picks and autographs), along with journal-esque descriptions of the overall concert experience--for an accourate account.

Best band to see live?:
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I have seen them three or four times at SPAC. Each time has been the time of my life--no doubt. I love so many of their songs that each tune they play is too much excitement for me to handle.

Worst band to see live?:
Can't really say. I did have a fairly poor time at the Allman Brothers at SPAC; but, I think it is because the average Allman Brothers fan and I don't typically share coffee or tea or other general space, ever.

Life-changing concert?:
I went to Woodstock '99 (the 30 year anniversary of the '69 festival--but not in the same place or withany of the same bands). It was pretty life changing. I went alone and camped. I was 21 and had to fend pretty much for myself. I learned a lot about myself in those four days. It was a great experience and quite expensive, but--overall--worth it.

Best friend to go to a concert with?:
The best person to go to any concert with is someone who loves the band that you are going to see. For example, I went to Dave Matthews at SPAC with a bunch of friends (a few of whom had seen DMB, like, over 100 times each). I wouldn't call myself a real "fan" of Dave Matthews but being around the die hards made me enjoy the concert much more than I would have if I were with less interested attendees. Watching people being genuinely excited is exciting to me.

Worst Friend to go to a concert with?:
Someone who dislikes the band that you are going to see, which is something that I wouldn't understand doing to begin with.

Best season to go to concerts?:
Summertime at SPAC is awesome. When it gets dark and the band takes the stage and there is a cool breeze that wafts gently through the arena after a hot day during a laid back guitar solo and the air is filled with "wooooo"s and whistles--priceless. It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Best concert memory?:
I have many. Thus, the concert diary. One that I will never forget, though, is the look on my brother's face when I returned with Stephanie from getting some water. We had been waiting all day at SPAC on the day of the Matchbox Twenty concert for pit seats. They gave us something in section 20. Anyway, when we returned, my brother had three tickets, which was strange since I had the section 20 tickets in my wallet. Then things slowly began to make sense to me. We sat in the third row of the pit.

Funnest thing ever done at a concert?:
Once someone asked me if I had any acid. I was sitting next to my mom. Why would you ask someone who is sitting next to a parent if they have drugs? Clearly, you are already on them.

Worst thing ever done at a concert?:
I haven't done anything bad... except try to sneak around security guards to meet bands.

Longest concert ever attended?:
The Woodstock festival was 4 days.

Coolest thing to get at a concert?:
Autographs... and/or guitar picks, drum sticks, set lists--you get the gist... I have some of all of such things, minus the drum sticks, in my concert diary.

Most annoying thing at a concert?:
Drunk people. Even so, I know they are just having fun they way they know how. I just wish they weren't doing it near me.

Outdoor concerts or indoor concerts?:
SPAC is sort of outdoor/indoor, which is the best.

Favorite venue?:
Refer to last answer.

Name three bands that you would love to see tour together:
The Wallflowers, Aimee Mann, and Pete Yorn. They are probably my three favorite bands. Although, any one of the three could drop out and add James Frederick to the list and I would be happy!

Do you prefer seats or the pit?
Which is a difficult question to answer due to the fact that I have had seats in the pit before. I have also been in a mosh pit situation, which is something that I would most likely avoid in the future. Though, I don't mind general admission either.

Hardest concert you've had to get tickets for?:
I always buy them when they are released. Plus, I don't usually go to the expensive concerts. I missed the last Petty concert because it was 80+ dollars for a seat. My ticket stories are all the same: I wake up an hour before they are released, I log on to ticketmaster.com, I click-click-clickity-click, my credit card gets charged, and I reflect on how decent or amazingly great the seats are going to be. Exciting stuff, eh?

Best music to see live?:
It doesn't matter as long as the sound is good and you are prepared to adjust your mood to whichever type of music you are going to see.

Drinking at a concert: yes or no?:
Not for me. And, I wish more people felt the same.

Best way to end a concert:
Meeting the band. It has happened, though not often.