Sick

I am recovering from a wicked sinus infection that--combined with the initial antibiotics that I was given--has completely wiped me out. You see, they first game me something called Levaquin. After just one does, however, I thought I was going to die. Without getting into too much detail, I was stricken with some of the worst stomach symptoms one can imagine. On top of that, my joints ached so bad I could barely walk; I had the shakes; my eyes went in and out of focus; and I had mild hallucinations (yes, mild). That was on Monday. It has taken the rest of the week just to get over those side effects. The second antibiotic is taking care of the sinus infection.

Before the illness, I played at Jitters Cafe as the opener for Ryan Jenson. First, let me say that Ryan is absolutely amazing! I have seen this guy play at open mics a few times and I have always thought that he was a great songwriter and entertaining performer. However, seeing him do a full show with 100% energy was downright unreal. He deserves every packed house that he plays to.

My set went quite well. I played:

Sink or Swim as a sound check
Until I fall Away by the Gin Blossoms
In Your Dreams
Walking; Standing Still
Time of Need by Ryan Adams
Crayons
Breaking Free
Saving the World (a newish one)
Rainy Day
Passenger
Rainbow Connection
Endless


I played for about an hour. Then after Ryan's two hour and fifteen minute set, I played a few more. Let's call it an encore performance :) Dave Scheffel joined me on the harp for a few songs. All of which sounded great.

Phila Street Serenade
Jessie by Joshua Kadison
Sink or Swim
Crayons
Behold! The Knight
Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash


Overall, I played with minor mistakes. I felt good. I wasn't completely in love with the sound, but then again, I never am unless it is my own system and I have had plenty of time to set it up and test the levels.

Stephanie took some good pictures of my performance. I posted them up on the photos page.

--This is a lame transition into a new topic, in leu of something better--

I wrote a song!

I'm still trying to figure out songwriting... what is the process? where do I begin? how do I make it happen? Every time I write a song it is different.

Anyway, I finally wrote a new song, which is something I haven't said in a while. The new song is called The Road to Nowhere, which is pretty cliché--unfortunately. I try to avoid chichés and yet fail often. Even so, the song is pretty good and, musically speaking, may be one of my best yet. I certainly need to practice it, though. But since I like it, I'm sure I'll be playing it often.

I did play the new song at an open mic already, though. I played at Fulton Books' open mic last night (my first time out of the house since getting sick on Monday). Fulton Books has a pretty cool open mic. Mostly because there is a good group of people there. I've made some great friends--specifically with the members of Broadalbin-Perth's guitar club (a guitar club in school! whodda thunk?). Whats really great is that I've only been to their open mic a few times and yet I've made friends so quickly. Usually open mics are sort of on the territorial side--as in "who is this newbie? who does he think he is coming to my open mic?" It's like West Side Story... Anyway, last night there was an "open jam" after the open mic, which means everyone with an instrument crowded around and played songs together. It was pretty crazy; there was at least 15 of us playing. We had seven guitars, two mandolins, two djimbes, a banjo, and various people with harmoncias. We played for like a half an hour together on a bunch of classic tunes--many of which I learned that night. The only thing down side of the jam was that all seven of the guitarists were pretty much playing the same thing. We really didn't have any one skilled enough in soloing to stand out. Even so, it was a lot of fun and everyone enjoyed themselves.

--This is a lame ending to the entry in leu of something better--