A New Experience

This past Friday I found myself involved in a new experience.

Some friends and I journeyed to Saratoga in search of something to do. Last summer, we frequented a pool hall tucked away in a back alley called Backstreet Billiards. It was kind of cool. None of us are really great pool players, but we hang out, listen to classic rock on the juke box, and my friends can drink beer. We also make fun of each other when we hit really terrible shots. It's fun. We decided to do that again.

On our way up the alley, we all sort of sensed something different. We didn't talk about it, but after we left--much later--we all agreed that we felt something. There were an awful lot of people hanging around outside. In the past, the place was always nearly empty; out of the eight tables that they have, there would usually only be three taken up. I opened the door to the place and was met by a bouncer dude who asked us for our IDs, which was something that had never happened before. At the same time, I noticed that Backstreet Billiards had doubled in size since our past visit. There was also a stage, and some huge speakers. Then, I noticed the band setting up, and the crowd.

I could tell right away that the style of music that was going to be played was not one that I typical listen to. I could tell that just by the crowd. They were wearing black and gray and their clothes were old, torn, and tattered. There was also a lot of tattoos and wallet chains. They were metal-heads.

I looked at my friends, expecting them to decide to leave. They paid admission. I followed.

I'm glad I did. I enjoyed myself, even if it was completely different.

As soon as we got a cue ball and sticks and started a game, the first band started playing. It was definitely metal. And not the 80s hair band metal. It was the chugging guitars/double kick drum/growling into the microphone/punching people, metal.

It was also loud. Even so, we played pool and enjoyed it.

The second band was more metal than the first. The lead singer... erm, growler... had a long microphone chord and ran around the room in front of the stage. He was jumping at people and screaming and growling and yelling and flailing his arms and legs and everything. It was intense. At one point, I leaned over to my friend and said, "I feel aggressive." Then I slapped him. He is a metal fan.

At one point, the singer leapt over the rope that divided the pool table area from the stage area. He ran up to someone, who was innocently going to make a pool shot, and screamed in his face something to the tune of, "You're gonna f*$%ing die!!!" (although, it could have easily have been, "I like puppies... hi." He was growling, after all). The innocent pool player was, in fact, me. I wasn't in the least bit suprised by the act. I nodded my head, or did I bang it? And he proceeded to yell at someone else. Then, I took my shot. I made it. Then, I made the next two shots, as well.

I joined my friends and told them that I was now a metal-head.

As I have said, I had a good time--even if it wasn't something I would have chosen to do. The reason I had a good time is that I made myself enjoy it. If you want be happy then you have to let yourself enjoy things. I think too many people sit or stand around and expect someone or something to entertain them. "No," I say. You must entertain yourself.

At the show, there were alot of people standing around. Some bobbed their heads and even clapped in between songs. But, I think they could have done more. The yelling, growling guy wanted people to "dance" with him. I'm not exactly sure of what that means, but no one did.

I wasn't about to find out on my own.

We stayed for a couple of hours. We played about six games of pool (we take a long time because we miss a lot of shots), and then we went and had coffee at Uncommon Grounds (or is it Common Grounds? I can never remember...).

As we drank our coffee, we talked about the experience. I defintely have a new respect for metal. I don't like listening to it in my car, or at my house, but it is a pretty crazy form of music when you see it live. I would certainly enjoy myself if I happened upon it again.