Catch Up

I have been neglecting of this blog lately. And for that, I apologize.

Actually, I have been quite busy with more pressing matters of various important natures.

Even so, I have had time to enjoy some interesting experiences of which I would like to share.

Here goes:

Saturday the 9th, I played a lunch time show at the Coffee Planet in Ballston Spa. Things went well. Although, I had a difficult time bringing my songs down to the level in which they are intended to be played. At lunch time, there are a lot of folks coming in for food, waiting in a haphazardly developed "line" for their food, and then leaving with their food to eat outside or somewhere else or occasionally not leaving and chatting with their companions while I play. The "line" in which I speak of is often formed directly in front of where I was set up, and in between me and the rest of the restaurant--which causes difficulty for the performer who can't really make eye contact with the people sitting and perhaps listening. Not that I am complaining. In fact, the set up works well for tips! People who are on their way in and out often have change in their hands from their purchase and can easily drop it off in a fish bowl or what have you while on their way out. The other difficulty is that the lunch crowd is chatty--which is fine, of course. But, then I feel like I need to compete for attention--something I really don't need to do, but I feel like I need to. I also have a difficult time getting into my comfort zone when there is so much going on at once. It is difficult to accomplish such a task in a conversation filled restaurant where people are coming and going. Even so, I made some money in tips, got a free lunch (which was an excellent BLT wrap!), and got to see a couple of old friends.

On the following Saturday, I travelled to Troy to see a joust at a renaissance faire, and to see a friend play with his band at Riverstreet Fest. Firstly, there was no joust. I don't know why they advertised a joust at this faire when there wasn't one. There was, however, a melee--which is a medieval event in which knights enter a squared off area with various weapons and proceed to whack each other. It was pretty sweet! (I'm kind of ridiculous when it comes to medieval battles). So, these knights looked pretty authentic. They had full armour and spoke--for the most part--in a language that, as far as I know, is Middle English. The faire itself, on the other hand, was on the small side. There just wasn't enough to keep the attention of a wannabe medieval knight for more than an hour. I browsed the faire fare (ha!) and watched some battles and headed over to Riverstreet.

They Might Be Giants were headlining the festival, which was cool except that their set time interfered with my friend's band's set time. At the time that my friend played at the south stage, most of the festival attendees were moving towards the main stage. Even so, Mike Grutka (my friend who played with his band) rocked! I had seen him play solo a few times but never with his full band, which includes the most amazing drummer and an excellent lead guitarist. The set they played was phenomenal. The songs were upbeat and sounded better than a local level band should. They were tight. I'm hoping that the organizers of Riverstreet Fest noticed what I noticed, and decide to put these guys on the main stage next year. In fact, their set was much more entertaining than any of the performers that I saw that day, including the band that played before They Might Be Giants on the main stage.

I also had a nice experience today that prompted me to catch up on blogging, as the experience was quite a good one and I wanted to write about it. I decided to bring my guitar to work with me today (I am a substitute teacher) and play some of my songs--mostly, because the school year is pretty much done with and most teachers don't leave work for their students when substitute teachers come in. I can't blame them, the kids know the testing is done and the grades are due and they are already on vacation as far as they are concerned. Thus, they need to be entertained in some way to keep them from getting into things that they shouldn't be into. Most of my classes today, however, were able to visit with each other without causing problems; so, I didn't bother getting my guitar out. When I did, it was for a class of three students--one of which had played a Bob Dylan video on YouTube for us. I played "Endless" for them, and then "Road to Nowhere," "Sink or Swim," and "Rainbow Connection." I played my songs very quietly, as there was very nice acoustics in the classroom. The lights were off at the time and there was a low-key ambiance to the mini-concert. I was very impressed with the way in which the three middle school students listened intently while I played. After each song, they clapped and asked me questions about my playing or my guitar or other things related to music. One student even asked me to write down some of my lyrics for her. I did.

I hope to have more concerts like the one in the classroom. It was quiet and intimate and my songs work well in such situations. Unlike, lunch time shows where my songs become something other than what I intend them to be, when I play faster or louder to try and garner some attention. Quietness is key for soft-spoken songwriters.

Which brings me to the end of this blog and a feeling of finally being caught up.