Lena's

Insomnia -- I have not been sleeping too well. Pretty much since I started teaching summer school, I have been over anxious and my typically high level of anxiety has skyrocketed. Basically, this is caused by uncertainty -- something that I often write about in songs. I'm uncertain as to if I will succeed as a teacher. I'm afraid to do the wrong thing -- an unfounded fear, as I have been well trained to teach and I, for the most part, know what I'm doing. But, for some reason, I think that I don't know what I'm doing. Which, if you think about it, is quite rediculous. I should just get some confidence and stop worrying... but, I can't.

It's 12:03am -- which is just after midnight in case you are one of those people who can't figure out if 12:00am is midnight or noon -- and I'm at my computer because I'm not tired. Even if I was tired, I know I wouldn't fall asleep for at least an hour if not more. I got home from Lena's about 15 minutes ago. It was a good night. There were a lot of new performers there, which is always cool, especially when they are good. And they were good! So that is... erm, good. I played "Sink or Swim" and "Jessie" by Joshua Kadison. I really enjoy playing "Jessie." It's a great song that lends itself well to the solo acoustic performer. And, I can really rock out when I play it -- which I did this past night.

Gary Moon was hosting. When he anounced me, he mentioned that I would soon be getting married -- which, of course, is true. I joked, when I got to the mic, that he ruined the mystique for the girls who would be wondering "Is he taken? or single?" I got a good laugh for that one. Which segwayed horribly into playing "Sink or Swim" -- a song that is essentially about a fear of the future...

which is really uncertainty...

which leads to sleeplessness...

which is called insomnia...

which brings this post full circle.

Good night.