Bark is Worse...

I haven't been doing much on the music front lately. I have certainly had other things to attend to. Still, I am glad for the break. If you do something for too long without taking a break than it becomes work-like, which is definitely not what I want music to become.

Even so, last night I attended open mic at Caffé Lena. It was a slow night as far as attendance goes, but sometimes slow nights are nice. It is more intimate.

When I got there, I wasn't sure if I was going to play or not, as I have been -- and still am -- suffering from some major allergy issues. I decided to play, however, and I did Sink or Swim and Rainy Day, which I had not done in what seems like forever.

To help me sing -- because my allergy issues were coming from my throat -- I bought Slippery Elm from the Four Seasons health food store on Phila Street. I have had the stuff before and I remember it being quite soothing to the sore throat sufferer. Now, when you read the name "Slippery Elm," do you immediately think, "Oh. This is made from tree bark." Yes? Oh... well, I didn't until about two days later when my sore throat was much, much worse and my allergy symptoms were horrendous. I checked the box and sure enough: elm bark. I am allergic to trees.

So, I have been suffering quite badly the last few days and have only started to feel better since I stopped taking Slippery Elm. I'm still suffering from allergies, but not as bad. Hopefully, in a few days I'll be up to song writing... or at least practicing.