Nutrition Bars and Other Silliness

Last night, some Lena's friends played a show at... er, Lena's. Kate Blain and Gary Moon, who play together quite often and harmonize on each other's songs, have been playing with Phil Henry for a year in support of their songwriter trio project called Detour. The Lena's show was their farewell performance as a group (though, I suggested they should have a reunion show every year). Firstly, they sounded amazing!

(Time Out: I am afraid that I am beginning to sound like a critic reviewing the show... I don't want to do that. So, I'm going to attempt to not write a review... wish me luck)

Some highlights for me:
Gary Moon's version of Phil Henry's Broken.
Kate Blain's performance of Gary's How to Forgive.
Gary's Loser Town, which is a song that I love on his CD, but have never heard him do live.
A more rock version of Kate's song The Good Life.
The trio's version of America by Simon and Garfunkel.

... and now I'm drawing a blank. I remember enjoying many more specific tunes, but I can't think of them right now. (maybe it's because I haven't had breakfast yet...)

Anyway, here are some pictures.









In between songs (and during some songs), the three of them were hilarious. It was like a comedy show. They made so many jokes about their songs and about playing together and it was just completely silly. One running gag that they had was the giving away of Detour Nutrition Bars. Phil Henry also kept referring to Gary as the "pissed off James Taylor." (which is, actually, kind of fitting).

Stephanie and I went to the show and we had a great time. We sat with Phil Drum and his wife Joette and Dave Scheffel (more Lena's regulars).



--------



Thursday night was another Lena's open mic. For some reason there was no one there! well... not really no one. There was a small group of performers, mostly regulars. The whole night ended at 9:45, which is unheard of. Usually, we are there until 11. On really busy nights, open mic goes until 11:30 or 12. Even though it was a slow night, it was a lot of fun. I think everyone tried to bring their songs down a notch and play quieter for the intimate crowd. I did too.

I took a picture of Willie the Moak.