Self-Esteem

I recently purchased a pocket notebook and a very small pen -- which, incidentally, cost about four times as much as a regular pen -- so that I can write lyrics, thoughts, etc, when such things come to me without having to wait until I can get to a computer or non-pocket notebook. I have been carrying it around with me for a while now and have started to use it more routinely. I'm actually (and finally) writing a song.

Here follows some other things I wrote about:

12/12 Went to Jitters Cafe open mic. Played "Road to Nowhere" and messed up the lyrics, "Endless," and "Christmas Time" by Bryan Adams. Phil Drum was given a birthday cake complete with candle; age jokes ensued. Found out from a reliable source that Phil spends "all his free time" on myspace and youtube. Rainman played Christmas songs. Lisa K. covered "When the Stars go Blue" by Ryan Adams.

12/13 Drove home during a snow storm. A plow passed over a bridge as I passed under it and the curtain of snow created by the plow.

12/14 A few weeks ago, I did a lesson on self-esteem with my students. First of all, me teaching kids to raise their self-esteem is like Dr. Kevorkian promoting not-wanting-to-commit-suicide. I mean, how do you boost another person's self-esteem when you agree with their statement that "life sucks"? 'cause it mostly does...

12/15 I'm sitting in a fairly empty movie theater at Crossgates Mall (then, how on earth is this showing up on a computer screen? Because, I am writing this in the pocket notebook that I recently purchased and I have all intentions of transcribing the entry on to Blogger when I get home, which you no doubt deduced already being that you are reading this on a computer screen.). I am alone. I came to Crossgates to finish up some Christmas shopping and decided to see a movie. I used to go to movies alone all the time in between classes while attending SUNY Albany; but, I haven't done it in a long time. My purpose for writing in my journal (and saving the seat next to me) is because the theater is steadily filling up with people who are in groups with other people and, of course, I am not in a group. And I don't want to make eye contact with these friend-having (and calling, and inviting-out) people who are having conversations and laughing and looking at people who are alone like they are some kinds of pathetic blights on society. My other purpose for writing is that I did some shopping in Borders book store fifteen minutes ago and I didn't buy anything because the checkout line was immense! I was quite impressed to see that so many people are buying books for gifts for Christmas. Maybe there is hope for humanity after all... and the movie screen is reminding me silence my cell phone, which I shall now do.



Here is a not-very-good camera-phone picture of Phil Drum at the Jitters open mic.