Of Things That a Singer/Songwriter Does on Weekends

I just spent the last four hours of my pathetic existence wrapped in a fuzzy -- and shedding -- blanket on my couch watching a Dirty Jobs marathon on the Discovery Channel. I got up about fifteen minutes ago because the episode that was starting was one that I had already seen... thrice. Am I lazy? Do I secretly love the dry wit of Mike Rowe? Am I addicted to Discovery Channel? The answer to such questions is a resounding "yes, yes, and hell's yes." But, the reality of the current couch dwelling experience is that I am freezing here in my house. We keep the thermostat at 68 degrees, but I'm skinny and freeze easily.

Still, I forced myself to get up and do something (thanks in part to the Discovery Channel's policy on repeating its shows incessantly). Of course, I went straight for my guitar. Yesterday, I started working on a killer new cover song. It's going to be soooo cool! I can't wait to get it down, so I can start playing it out. I just need to work on a couple of the changes with regards to the vocals. The name of the song? Nope. It's ultra secret. I'm not going to give it away until I play it out.

Besides working on this new cover, I had a couple of other musical experiences worth (or -- more appropriately -- not worth) blogging about.

On Friday, I was having another freezing/lazy day. Stephanie went to her parents house to visit and I was going to hang out with friends; however, one friend was sick and cancelled. Thus, I spent a few hours watching the music HD channel. I wasn't really feeling lazy. Instead, I thought of what I was doing as research. I watched Dan Fogelberg (Leader of the Band) and, then, Sheryl Crow. I was impressed with how terrible Fogelberg's voice sounded (I say "impressed" because my vocals are not my strong point either and here is this great songwriter with the same issue playing for this huge crowd. There is hope, I guess). Sheryl Crow sounded wonderful and I grew jealous. So, I got my guitar and started warming my voice up. I practice expanding my range and sang songs that I struggled with vocally. Then, I looked at the clock and realized that I had missed most of the open mic at Fulton Books. I quickly packed up my guitar, grabbed my coat and scarf, and headed for Gloversville. As soon as I got there, I was asked to play. It was a slow night of mostly an older crowd and they had all played twice already. So, I took out my guitar, checked to see that it was still in tune, and went up on the little stage. What was strange was that there was a drum kit set up at the back of the stage. That was never there before. There was a drummer sitting at the kit, and he didn't go anywhere when I sat down. So, I played with a drummer. I said that I hadn't played with percussion before, but that was a lie. I actually played with Dave Shaver (Almost Awake) once and Willie the Moak a couple of times. I strummed my guitar and the drums instantly kicked in. I played Falling Slowly because I wanted to play it, but I wish I hadn't. It isn't a percussion song. What especially made things weird was the old-time jazz style that the drummer was playing. It was all cymbal-ly and "bud-dooomp-tshi" -- not at all right for the song, which made me mess up. So, I decided to play Road to Nowhere next, which is a more rock-style song, and I hoped that the drummer would play a more rock-style percussion. He didn't. Still, it sounded a lot better than the first song. I received some good compliments, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

On Saturday, I attended a birthday party for a musician-friend's girlfriend. It was an 80s party, so I dressed up like Daniel LaRusso (who is the Karate Kid). I liked my costume. I did the crane kick pose in my kitchen.



I wasn't going to post this picture because I look incredibly goofy... but no one reads this blog anyway (except for you, but don't tell anyone that I know).

Some of the costumes were pretty cool. The 80s were... a unique time. It was nice to be refreshed on the music, as well. I should learn some covers of 80s tunes. Actually, the killer song I'm working is from '89, so...

I can't wait to play it. I'm going practice it again.