Of Last Night, Yesterday, and the Days Preceding Them

I had a brief moment of something close to, but not quite panic last night when I went to retrieve my coat from a bedroom full of coats and found that my coat no longer held my little black pocket journal in its inside pocket. I searched under the bed and other areas of the floor nearby to no avail. I didn't panic fully because: a) it's just a pocket journal and I can buy a new one b) it's not like I have secrets in my journal that I don't want others read c) there was a strong possibility that I had left the journal in my car or at home, and d) all of the above. "D" is the correct choice (although, while there really aren't "secrets" in my journal, I would prefer that others don't read it without my expressed consent).

As it turned out, my journal was in my car and I let out a little sigh of relief that no one had in fact read it.

The previously mentioned bedroom full of coats was attached to a house that was the location of a gathering of members of Stephanie's family. The place was crowded, which was very uncomfortable for me. Plus, I only knew about one-third of everyone as many of the "other-side-of-the-family" were there and I had never met them.

After a while, I brought my guitar in (I had just come from a show at MochaBlend) and I played a couple songs. Later, more instruments appeared and soon the living room was full of gospel bluegrass music in "god's key", which is the key of G. Which meant that every song was the exact same thing over and over and over again as gospel bluegrass music tends to be. I just played along.

A little later, I played some rock songs from earlier eras that Stephanie's aunt and uncle are familiar with. That was fun. I think I played Mellencamp, Petty, Dylan, and The Gambler. I also played The Weight. It was fun because it elicited some sing alongs.

The tough part about playing at parties is that people seem to develop ADD at parties. They'll say, "OH, play that one song!" and then you'll start to play it and the person who asked for it disappears or starts a loud conversation with a new person who walked in. Or, you might be two-thirds of the way through a song and someone will interrupt you because their drink is on the end table next to you and could you get it for them so that they don't have to disrupt the conversation taking place next to you. Or, someone -- who moments ago was singing along to the song you are playing -- suddenly remembers that one time when they sang a completely different song at karaoke and decides to start singing that song instead of the song that you are playing. Or, someone who you might have met that night but don't really remember having much of a conversation with needs to shake your hand before they can leave and as such shove their hand at you while you are in the middle of a chorus. Or, you took someones seat and they want it back, but can't wait until the end of the song. Or, someone turns up the radio because their favorite song is on. Or, there is still more food in other room and you should definitely stop what you are doing and go get some before it's all gone. Or, the kids steal or spill drinks on your capo/lyrics sheet/etc. Or, they find your shaker and start shaking it ravenously to no particular pattern.

Okay. I'm done.

Sit and listen. Sing-a-long. Comment. Clap. Provide reason for person who is playing to keep playing.

Once I was at such a gathering and so I went into another room to play by myself. Then, I was asked to play in the area where everyone was. I did. I wasn't spoken to or acknowledged again.

Okay. I'm done again.





-----





Yesterday, I had my show at MochaBlend. It went well. But, it was slow and, strangely, silent -- like a library. When I first started playing, there were four people there. Three of them were on laptops. The other was working on some art or something; I couldn't tell. I received some claps in between songs; but people were definitely busy, for the most part, with other things. Throughout the performance, people came and went. Some stayed for a few songs while they awaited the making of their coffee or panini. Stephanie said I sounded great. I was worried because my sinuses were congested in the morning. I felt them clear up -- no joke -- just before I started playing. My dad came and bought a CD -- even though, I told him he could have one for free. So, I sold one. I made a few bucks in tips, which is cool. And I was invited back to play again. MochaBlend is one of my favorite places to play. The people there are nice and they are all about the music. Plus, their food is great.

I didn't make a set list again. This is a rough order of the songs that I played:

Road to Nowhere
Endless
Time of Need
by Ryan Adams
Until I fall Away
by the Gin Blossoms
Breaking Free
Frozen
Passenger
House of the Rising Sun
Walking; Standing Still
Phila St. Serenade

Wild Flowers
by Tom Petty
The Awesome Cover Song That I'm Still Not Naming
Jessie
by Joshua Kadison
Falling Slowly
by the Swell Season
Sink or Swim
Crayons
Won't Back Down
by Tom Petty





-------





I was incredibly sick this past week. I went in to work late on Monday, and was sent home early. I stayed home Tuesday and went to the Doctor who gave me antibiotics and a note to stay home on Wednesday. I felt much better on Thursday and even went to open mic. I played Wild Flowers by Tom Petty and Breaking Free. I felt okay on Friday, but it was a long day. I am tutoring a high school student after work (when I'm not sick) and so spent a couple hours figuring out trigonometry (a part of course 3 math that I am certain I failed when I was in high school). Then, my friends invited me bowling and I stayed up much too late for someone who has spent most of the week in bed or on the couch. Which reminds me, I finally saw Donnie Darko. I watched it while being home sick. Very creepy, but intelligent, movie.