Catching Up Again

James Frederick + James Frederick's Life = Together Again, sort of.

As previously stated in last week's quick post, I have been insanely busy. And then, I became slightly sick and unrested due to the insane busy-ness. Well, I woke up this morning at about 9:30, laid in bed for ten minutes or so, got up, poured some juice, drank all of the juice while reading Neil Gaiman's blog, and smiled to myself because my life seems to have returned to me for the time being, and that is good.

All the insane busy-ness started about three weeks ago when Stephanie and I became serious about buying her new car. In the few weeks previous to that (as illustrated on this blog) I had done tons of research in order to prepare for the buying because I know that car dealerships tend to be lying cheating mo-fo's who are out for your money and nothing else. Well, I found a dealership that gave me a quote over the Internet for a good price. We went in. They checked out the trade-in, which rattled and clanked all the way to the dealership, and gave us a few hundred for it. We got them to throw in a free remote car starter and we signed the paperwork. We picked up the car a few days later. Oh yeah, and they offered us undercoating. I declined before she got to the last syllable

The old:


The new:


I like driving the new car. It's a Mazda 3 and it goes very fast, very easily, which is not like my car at all.

On the day that we picked the car up, we hurried to the Stephanie's play rehearsal. WE hurried, and not SHE hurried, because I reluctantly said "yes" to working the soundboard and there were only two rehearsals before opening night and I had to learn how to... um, work the soundboard. I was mostly successful at it, though that first night was touch and go. By the first performance, I was confident, and by the second performance, I had it all figured out.

The play was a musical called Godspell, and it was actually very good. The actors really impressed me and when I had the soundboard operating down, I actually watched the play and laughed and generally enjoyed it. Stephanie had a great time doing it, which is awesome because she has had some not-so-great times doing plays since the fun days of high school theater.

One thing that bothers me about the play in general is that it seems to be a great big statement against philosophy. It starts out with the characters in the play depicting philosophers dressed in black while the stage is dark. They sing parts of their philosophies before "arguing" (in song) and throwing papers at each other. Then, Jesus comes in and his disciple baptises them all. Then, they shed their dark clothes for bright colorful ones and they come back all happy and the best of friends and singing an upbeat song while the stage lights up. Which, ultimately, seems to say that thinking (philosophy) makes you angry and dark, while accepting Jesus (God/Religion) makes you happy and friendly.

The play is now over. I helped take down the lights and wrap up cables and pack up things. There was a little cast party and everyone said "good bye" to everyone.

And I'm excited to report that I don't have to do anything today! Except for all of the things that we haven't been doing because rehearsals have taken up too much time (ex: mow the lawn, clean the house, laundry, paperwork, bills, etc.).




-----




Two open mic nights have passed since I last blogged. I don't remember what I played last week... but this past week, I played Phila St. Serenade and Sing or Swim. We also bought our new camera (which arrived Wednesday) to the open mic and took some pictures, but there weren't any really good ones to post as we are still becoming accustomed to it's high-tech-ness. Perhaps next time.