Episode 4

The following is Episode 4 of Inside the Open Mic (my video documentary project/experiment/thing). Gary moon was interviewed and it came out really well. I'm getting better at the editing and the whole process of making the video took less time this time around, which is awesome. I'm also getting more comfortable with my computer being slow while using Movie Maker. Some times I move a clip with my mouse and then get up and get a glass of juice. When I return, I put text over the clip then get up and make some toast while my computer gets ready to play it.



My late night rambling two nights ago (see previous posting, which is below this one) has thrown me off today. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write about now.

I'll quickly throw down what I played at open mic: Dying on the Outside (the new one) and Wildflowers by Tom Petty, which I screwed up due to thinking when I should have been playing.

Speaking of thinking when I should have been playing. A friend of mine emailed me not too long ago about my playing(I really need to write him back, but it was a long email -- of which deserves a well thought out reply -- and I have not yet had time to devote to the replying of long emails). He moved out of the area, but has been checking up on me periodically through this website and my email list emails. He talked about, in his email, how feeling the song and what it's all about when playing is really important. And not to think when performing, just feel. It was a great email.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how I sound lately -- even when I'm performing. I haven't been in the moment and I haven't been in my songs (see posting from a couple weeks ago about the Samuel's Cafe gig). I feel like this is due to the criticism that, as a performer, I often receive. You see, people see a performance, they see ways to improve the performance, they suggest said ways to improve the performance to the performer. Which makes them a critic -- and everyone is a critic whether they mean to be critical, in the negative sense, or not. These criticisms (or suggestions) consume me...

Some criticisms/suggestions that I often hear:
You should play: (insert any song title here)
You should sing louder
You should play faster
You should play cooler songs
You should play happier songs
You should stop writing folky-sounding songs
You shouldn't play that cover song
You shouldn't play that original song

Now, I can't necessarily blame people for having criticisms/suggestions. I am critical when I go to concerts/movies/the grocery store. It's human nature, I think. I also think that people who offer such criticisms/suggestions to me genuinely feel that they are trying to help me and that by making any number of criticisms/suggestions they are in fact being a part of the overall process of bettering my performing/songwriting/cover choosing skills, etc.

Well, it's come to my attention via the aforementioned email that I don't need to listen to anyone concerning anything related to criticisms/suggestions. And that to be successful -- especially in the realm of success that I am looking for (and that's in the expression of my songs) -- I need to ignore criticisms/suggestions and just -- for the love of god -- play.

Which is what I intend, from here on out, to do.




Here are some pictures from open mic:

Fixing the mic:


Waiting for my turn (and being blurry, apparently):


John Schalino's (spelling?) cool, beer-label-covered guitar case: