Summer Night Blue

I just logged into blogger for the first time since posting my 100th posting and there beneath This Yellow Taxi Cab In Which I Ride was 100 Posts. Exciting stuff.

What's also exciting is that this past Thursday at Caffé Lena I got to say, Today is, no joke, five years to the day since my first performance at Caffé Lena's open mic night. And it felt pretty cool to say it. I referred to the performance as my Lena-versary and I played the same two songs that I played for my first ever performance: Crayons and Saving the World. Saving the World was quite different when I played it five years ago. I decided -- not long after playing it for people -- that I hated the song and so I re-wrote it... twice. The current version of the song is definitely the best version and sometimes I like it. I received some nice compliments on it, which must mean it's not as bad as I sometimes think it is.

Stephanie took a few pictures outside of Lena's to commemorate the anniversary. I thought that I looked ridiculous leaning on the door like I was. Stephanie said that it looks good.





I made the pictures black and white with photoshop. They were yellow-ish, originally... thanks -- probably -- to the street lights.

For my documentary series, I interviewed Ray Pashoukos (and I can now say with confidence that I spelled his name right). Rather than type about it, I'm posting the video:








-------





On Friday, I played at Samuel's Cafe in Alplaus, NY. Overall, I sounded good. Although, I didn't know it while I was playing because I couldn't hear myself well at all. A nice floor monitor would have been great. I had been using one of my speakers as a monitor, but the last few gigs I've had, I didn't, which lead me to feel that my not hearing myself was the fault of the acoustics of the room and not my being dumb and not using one speaker as a monitor. (Mental Note: use speaker as monitor when you can't hear yourself!) A couple of times, I moved my mic stand around and tried to find a better place to hear myself. But, I didn't want to pull a Ryan Adams and do that after every other song and eventually walk off the stage because the sound sucks. Still, I totally understand where he is coming from when he does that.

Another problem that I ran into (and I think I solved), was that my guitar pre-amp battery died. At least, I hope it was the battery. I haven't checked it out yet. My guitar kept cutting in and out during a couple of songs, so I unplugged it from the pre-amp and plugged it straight into the PA.

Now, even though people told me that I sounded good, I had a terrible time hearing myself the whole night. Which kept me preoccupied and I just couldn't get into my songs. I couldn't get the feel. I couldn't find the zone. And that is usually my strong point. When I sing, I'm so into the songs that I forget people are even watching me. Not last night.

Afterwards, I went to Ruby Tuesdays with some friends (one of which, Bill, played Triangle on one of my songs -- and he did a really great job). They decided that I need to write more "attention getting" songs. I was made fun of for writing so many downers. I can't help it, though. I write when I'm sad -- what can I say?

Bill took some pictures. Once he sends 'em to me, I'll post them here. And maybe I'll revamp my photos page. I need to do that.