Ring of Fire

Last night, we had some friends over and grilled hot dogs and had s'mores -- we roasted marshmallows over our new fire pit table. It was a perfect night to sit around a fire with friends. I took my guitar out for a little bit and played some potential sing-a-longs. Ring of Fire went over particularly well.

I played at the Farmer's Market in Gloversville today. Things weren't going so well at first, but it turned out to be a very nice gig. Not to mention, I left the market with a bag of corn and a bag of bread that I didn't have previously and that I earned just from playing some songs. You've gotta love playing at Farmer's Markets.

I also learned an important lesson this time around: Check the power supply before setting up all your PA gear. I had my entire thing set up and ready to go. All I had to do was turn it on. When I did, nothing happened. We later determined that the electricians must not have known that we needed the power and didn't hook some wire up somewhere. It worked a few weeks ago... but not today. This actually turned out to be a good thing, because I packed all of my PA and effects up and put it in the car. I ran to the bathroom quickly and as I was returning to the pavilion, the darkest cloud I have ever seen decided to open up and start raining. It turned out to be a monsoon, practically. Even under the pavilion, I was getting sprayed as the wind whipped rain almost horizontally. The thunder was loud and the lightning was awesome.

I am holding a stress ball with a smiley face that the Mental Health Association was giving away. You can sort of see the raininess in the background. Too bad you can't experience the nasty monsooniness.



Eventually, the weather settled down and I play unplugged -- which is tough, especially outside, because you have to project your voice more than you are used to. My vocal chords are tired from it...



It was tough to hear me if you were at the market, talking with vendors and making transactions; but, I did get claps here and there and I was given tips.



I also received some nice compliments from some listeners including two from kids on separate occasions.



One thing that I like about Farmer's Markets? Cowbells. You can never have enough cowbell.



Okay -- it's time to eat some delicious bread (I'm addicted to the bread at the market) and take a nap. I'm beat from singing.




Oh yeah, and I freaking met Aimee Mann five days ago!!