Cold

I have a cold. I have had it for a few days and it just doesn't want to go away. I hate being sick and it really sucks for singing.

Due to a crazily busy weekend last weekend, I haven't kept up with my weekly postings. I'm going to quickly recap some music related stuff that I have been into lately.

Open Mic at Caffé Lena this past Thursday:

I worked the door and met some songwriters who were from out of town. Robin and Annie were from Brooklyn and were on their way to a gig in Burlington. They decided to stop at Caffé Lena's open mic while on their way.

I played Breaking Free and Saving the World.

Larkfest on Saturday:

Stephanie and I went to Larkfest, which is on Lark Street in Albany. We mainly went to see two bands that were playing on the main stage. The Sense Offenders, who are headed by Tom McWaters (a Caffé Lena open miker), and Saving Atlantis, a band that was created in Fulton County (the county in which I live). A former student of mine from back in my student teaching days is a member of the band.

The Sense Offenders were incredible. There was so much power behind their amplification it rattled my insides. And Tom McWaters sings his lungs out. Their set of original songs was excellent. Their songs are excellent too.

Saving Atlantis was impressive. They have sort of an '80s electronica meets Pop indie feel, which -- oddly enough -- sounds pretty good. Their songs elicited some head rocking and foot stomping.

Here are some pics:

Saving Atlantis:


The Sense Offenders:


Tom McWaters:


Cool looking shadows:


We left Larkfest as soon as the Sense Offenders finished their set, because there were a lot of people there and it felt very crowded and quite claustrophobic. We walked down past the Legislative Building, which is undergoing some construction, and noticed the following:



A closer look:


That is a portable toilet... a very high up portable toilet... I would not want to be having a twoseys on a windy day up there...

Across the street from the high potty is a group of two dimensional people, who turned out to be much taller than life-size as I had originally thought.

Stephanie with 2D people:


After taking pictures of portable toilets and giant two-dimensional people, we went to eat at Panera Bread. I don't remember what I had, but I spilled some drops of water when I opened my bottled water and I created:



Scream-Table-Droplets-Man.




-----



Two years ago, Stephanie planted a rose bush of some sort next to our house. She put rocks around it. I accidentally cut half of it down with the weed whacker not long after she planted it. It barely survived the last winter and even though Stephanie put lots of Miracle Grow on it, she didn't think it was going to make it.

I found it had a flower on it the other day:




That is exciting for Stephanie... and a relief for me -- who had severely limited its chances of living when I whacked it way back when.




-----



I feel there is more to talk about... but I am out of blogging time for now. More to follow.