2008

It's New Year's Day. And this posting is going to be a predictable thinking-about-the-past-year type of posting. It can't be helped.

I just re-read my posting on this day last year. I was surprised by what I read. I really wasn't expecting to find any differences between my current self and my last-year self, but I did. I grew, in certain ways. And that is promising.

For starters, I was having a lot of trouble last year with my live sound (PA system, reverb, etc.). I had received some pedals for my birthday and I absolutely could not get them to sound right at all. Recently, however, I have had no trouble setting up my live sounds for gigs and, in fact, have been quite pleased and confident with the way my live sound turns out.

It feels good to know that I've grown in the past year and am moving in the right direction. Getting better at things is definitely promising.

2008 was a pretty good year for me overall. I worked steadily for the entire year, which is something that hasn't happened for quite a few years. I also got a new job, which is more money than the last one and much better benefits. I've made new friends this past year and have consistently gotten together with old friends. I've also had my first professional paying gig at a college in Albany, and I played at Caffe Lena's Emerging Artist Series. I started a film project (Inside the Open Mic) and have received excellent feedback about it. I was also interviewed for an article in a local newspaper, which is going to be run this week.

The more I think about it, I'm quite proud of my accomplishments this past year. I'm skeptical -- as always -- that I'll be able to keep the momentum going into 2009. But, I'm looking forward to writing more songs and, hopefully, recording. If I get a good tax return... I'm spending it on recording. Hold me to that.

I received a lot of great gifts for my Birthday/Christmas. This laptop, of course. A heated mattress pad, which I have slowly been getting used to after nearly melting myself the second night I used it. I also got enough Borders gift cards to buy a Borders store and live in it for the rest of my life (wow. that would awesome!). And other randomly useful or interestingly neat stuff.

I also have a whole bunch of new Hard Rock Cafe guitar pins to add to my collection (which I will need to reorganize in order to make space for the new additions).