Foo

There wasn't enough milk this morning for both a bowl of cereal and a hot chocolate. I had a difficult decision to make. On the one hand, hot chocolate is smooth and warm and tasty. Plus you get to sip hot chocolate and you don't have to use a spoon (except for the initial stirring, of course). On the other hand, Fruity Pebbles (yes, I eat a kid's cereal) have a great texture and, obviously, taste "fruity."

I opted for the hot chocolate and it was a good decision. I am sipping the warm, smooth drink in between typing and watching the Foo Fighters concert that I DVRd from the High Def music channel. I also DVRd an Oasis concert will most likely watch that tomorrow.

I don't know why, but the Foo Fighters have steadily crept up into the fictional top ten list of favorite bands that I pretend I have. Since late last year, I haven't been able to escape the band. The radio stations that I like have played a few of their newer songs and I couldn't help but love every one of them. Now, we play a bunch of the older Foo Fighters songs on Rock Band. And they are all really great songs. Sure -- they are mostly rock based, riff driven, power chord, lots of drum type songs, but they also have a lyrical quality that I find endearing. I do believe I need to download (legally) a specific collection of their stuff.

Right now, they are playing My Hero. The concert is at Wembly Stadium and there are about a million people there and they are all singing along. That must be an amazing feeling to be playing your song and step away from the mic and words continue, sent at you from a million emotional voices. (Dave Grohl just pointed out that there are 86,000 "back up singers" -- not quite a million, but a LOT).

Last comment about the concert: Raimi Jaffe is playing the organ, synthesizer, piano, accordion, etc. He used to be in the Wallflowers (one of the top ten favorite bands from the fictional list), but left them to tour officially with the Foo Fighters.

One more last comment: they have a girl/woman playing a cello or violin for various songs. She is wearing a shiny dress that is cut above the knee and black boots that go up to her knee. She is absolutely gorgeous...

I finally attended Open Mic this week! I played thirteenth and I did two covers. I said that I was sick of my own songs. I played Lonely 'ol Night by John Mellencamp (earlier someone had played another Mellencamp song and did a great job of it) and Wildflowers by Tom Petty. I played quite well except for a few "almost-mistakes." Almost-mistakes are when you start to make a mistake, but realize it before you actually make the mistake and correct it before anyone really notices a mistake, but that half second of almost-mistakes creates a brief anomaly of some sort in the song, which isn't quite a mistake, but isn't quite not a mistake. Thus, I have decided to call it an almost-mistake.

Last night, I played Rock Band, of course. Not a lot that I can really say about it except for I changed my avatar's clothes and that I'm getting pretty solid on the guitar on medium level. I'm also consistently singing on the hard level. The other thing is our usual guitarist is getting bored with Rock Band and wants to seek out more real life social situations. Honestly, I could play Rock Band every Friday until the weather gets warmer.

In a little bit, I'm going to help Stephanie's dad with his sound as his bluegrass band is playing a church gig out in Mayfield. Later tonight, I am going to a party where Rock Band will be present. I'm looking forward to playing in front of an audience and showing off my front-man skills.

I posted episode 10 of Inside the Open Mic. Here it is so that you don't have to go searching and clicking.



You may also want to read some of my thoughts about this particular episode. You can do that on the Crumbs.net blog, which is located here: http://blogs.timesunion.com/localmusic/