Robots in Disguise

Open mic was incredibly crowded this past Thursday. I got picked late in the drawing, but miraculously the first slot was still open. So, I played first -- well, first after the host Kate Blain played one of her own. I played Walking; Standing Still and Walls by Tom Petty. I love Walls. I wish I had learned it sooner. I received a good response from the huge crowd.

The following day, I brought my guitar to a training for my job. It was the the third day of the training and I was beginning to build some rapport with the people that I sat near. During one break, I played a couple tunes, one of which was Passenger. After the song, one of the trainees said, "Do you mind if I make a comment on the song?" I said, "no" and she went on to say that I must have been really depressed when I wrote the song. I don't remember her exact words, but she talked about parts of the song and the feeling that she got from it. I was pretty excited that she totally "got" the song. It was like she had analyzed it for weeks. She was so knowledgeable about it. I was very impressed.

Later that night, I went to see Transformers 2. I could probably vent about all the things that I didn't like about it for days... but, I did enjoy the story and the action, of course, was plentiful. I didn't like the robot that turned into a girl. That was really random... it was more Terminator than Transformers... The other thing that really irked was the two "stupid" robots. They were basically retarded robots and were meant for comic relief. I found them to be annoying and really quite stupid and pointless. Speaking of comic relief... there was too much of it. Too much stupid funny. I mean, you are fighting giant robots here that are going to destroy the planet. This is serious. Not funny. Lastly, the story focused mostly on Optimus Prime and Sam, which left all of the other Autobots to be pretty much non-existent for most of the movie. They showed up in battles and disappeared randomly. There was a blue Autobot at one point in the film. He was MIA for the rest of it. Weird.

I went to the movie with a huge nerd friend of mine, Bill. While waiting in line, we were trying to remember the name of the guy in Quantum Leap -- not Sam Beckett; his friend who talks to Ziggy. We couldn't think of it so I texted my brother. He knew. It's Al. In the theater, before the movie started, Bill was talking about how he liked the word "chided" but never used it. He said, "I should use it more often." I responded, "You're such a dork for not using 'chided' more often." The guy sitting next to me cracked up laughing.

In more music related news, I finished the final episode of Inside the Open Mic. It features me. I may upload it later today. It's actually a two parter because YouTube only allows you ten minutes.