What's On My Mind

It's the 21st and I haven't done a true blog since the 14th. In between I posted a couple pictures with words from my cell phone. A true entry, however, is now due.

Even so, I don't really have a whole lot to post about. I covered open mic from the open mic. I didn't do anything Friday night because the friends I typically get together with on Friday both had lousy excuses, but excuses non-the-less ("It was a long day at work and I have a headache" and "there is chick involved"). Saturday was a family gathering on Stephanie's side. I became a jungle gym for a period of time as a nephew and second cousin of Stephanie's crawled all over me in acrobatic-like ways. I also watched a lot of Dora the Explorer and was referred to "anti-social" at one point for hanging out where there were cartoons instead of where there were people socializing. This morning I went out to eat with Stephanie, her brother and his family, and their parents for father's day... (shit. I just realized I forgot to text my dad... *texting* ... he is in Florida visiting his dad for the weekend). Anyways, we had breakfast for lunch and at 5:15pm I am still quite full.

There are really only two things on my mind right now. 1) Transformers 2. I am dying to see the movie. I just teased myself by checking out a new trailer online. My excitement level went from a 10 to a 110 in 90 seconds. I just can't get enough giant robots that turn into cars and have to save the world from evil giant robots. The movie opens Wednesday and I am tentatively going with my flaky friends to see it Friday. We were going to make plans about seeing the movie while hanging out this past Friday, but -- as previously mentioned -- we did not get together.

The other thing that is really on my mind right now is the Wallflowers. I wrote about their upcoming concert at Northern Lights a few posts ago. I was pretty stoked then because I was under the impression (thanks to the 'news' section on the Wallflowers' website) that their departed keyboardist/organist was rejoining the band for the tour. Friday, while not hanging out with my friends and stalking bands that I like out of sheer boredom, I discovered this is not true. Instead, they will have a past producer of theirs playing keys on the tour. I'm very torn about how I should be feeling. On the one hand I am very excited to see the Wallflowers live, but I'm disappointed to learn that not all of the Wallflowers will be there. It was like I was given this piece of sweet news and then was told it was all a lie. I'm a little broken up about it.

In other news, I am learning a few new covers to perform. I'm really digging Walls by Tom Petty. I'm also learning You Don't Know How It Feels, but will only be able to play it for certain crowds. For example, I don't think the farmer's market people will hire me back if I am singing, "Let's roll another joint!" I'm also learning God Says Nothing Back by the Wallflowers. Maybe I'll play one of them this week at open mic.





-----




Some items cleaned off from my phone:



Confusing set of signs. This is located at my old high school right next to a speed bump. I don't even think there's enough road to get a car up to 55 mph.

And this is a short video of South Star showing me one of the few lighter tricks that he knows. I thought I'd test the video capabilities of the camera phone. Not great. But, damn it, Jim. It's a phone. Not a video camera.