Labor Day Weekend

Everyone should be forced to work on Labor Day. Then, we should have every other day of the year off... right? Wouldn't that make more sense? I have a three day weekend because of "Labor" day... Regular everyday stuff confuses me.

Currently, I am in Uncommon Grounds on Broadway in Saratoga. Had a late lunch. Wandered around a bit. Read. Played FarmVille on facebook.

My plan is to go to Gaffney's at 9 to see Bluesology play. I have a few more hours to read or type or whatever.

I had a rather horrid day at work yesterday. It was the first really bad day that I've had since working this job, which I have been working for one month short of a full year. I suppose that it is a good percentage of good days to bad ones. My co-workers were incredibly supportive and stopped what they were doing to lend an ear or some advice on how to deal with the situation that was making my dad horrid. I'm really glad for the support and companionship that was offered. Otherwise, the day would have been much MUCH more horrid.

Earlier today I mowed my lawn. After doing so, I walked around with a broom and brushed the grass clippings off the sidewalk and such. I noticed a bunch of spiderwebs on the sides of the front steps. In one of the spiderwebs was a giant florescent yellow Caterpillar! It was working its way out of the web while I watched it. Suddenly, out of a corner of the steps, a HUGE spider appeared. It was the size of Shelob (which is the name of the giant spider in Lord of the Rings) and caused me to jump back a bit. I don't like spiders. I don't mind caterpillars much and so I decided to intervene. The spider disappeared into the steps again, and I destroyed its web, rescuing the Caterpillar in the process.

I took a picture of the Caterpillar. Not sure if I'll post it or not.

Uncommon Grounds is great for laptop work. However, it's much too loud for reading. If I decide to read more, which is probably what I'll do, I will leave. I may stop back, though, and check email and such.

Recently, I reconnected with an friend that I had been disconnected from for a few years. We've been exchanging email and giving each other assignments (for example: take pictures of the ocean, listen to such and such song, write a poem, etc.). She currently, lives in Florida and makes me long for the ocean by telling me about her walks on the beach. i very much enjoy reading her emails and am excited when they arrive and disappointed when a day goes by without one. Recently, she told me that she was having a rough spot and without going into too many details about it, I called her to see how she was doing. We made jokes and laughed and mostly ignored the rough spot that I had originally called about. During the conversation, which was taking place on the fire escape at Caffe Lena on Open Mic Night this past Thursday, I was hit with something in the back of my head on my hat. There was a 'shhhhhhhhhhh' type sound and water splashing. Water, about a gallon's worth, came off of the room and poured itself on me. It also got on my phone, shoulder, and right leg. This further lightened the conversation and increased the ridiculousness of me randomly being rained on by unidentified roof liquid when -- five-minutes later -- I was rained on a second time. Later on, I explained the story of being rained on and received replies like, "Oh. It happened to you too, eh?" and "Don't worry. It comes from the air conditioner." Thankfully, it's not toilet water.

A lot of times you see people come into a place like Uncommon Grounds and order their food, or coffee, or what-have-you, find a place to sit and proceed to do something like eat, drink, read a book or the newspaper, or work on a laptop or call a friend on their cell phones. A lot of times, these people are alone and you wonder, do they want to be alone? or would like some company? What is going on in their lives? Some of them are very happy and cheerful and talk to their cell phones in excited tones. Other's of them are more somber and work quietly or read. Even other's look around and gently smile at passerbys who are looking for their seat. If you walked into Uncommon Grounds, you would see one such person looking up from his laptop as you walk by. You would most likely notice his hat first. Then you might notice the gentle smile. You might not catch the loneliness in his eyes or the desire that he seeks your companionship. You may not know or care that he wonders about you: where you are going, what you are up to, what kind of music you enjoy, what book you are reading. Ignore the fact that he is typing a blog about you, random person. That's not creepy at all...

Okay, blogging done.