Day 6 and 7 (Vacation Diary)

It is now Sunday. Which means I am three days late writing about day six of my vacation and two days late writing about seven five. I'm a bad blogger some times. I have been very busy since being home. There was a gathering Saturday night at a friend's house and I have had to unpack and tidy things up after the unpacking. I picked my cat up on Saturday and slept A LOT. I guess I was partially jet-lagged and partially behind on sleep. I have also been taking care of the sunburn that I had gotten on Thursday and haven't written about yet...

Okay. Time for the catch up.

I woke up Thursday morning (Day 6 of the Vaca) in the late morning and went straight for the poolside. Of course I put on sun tan lotion and took extra care to make sure I covered my back. In fact, I put on SPF 15 first and then added SPF 30 to my back because I had gotten a little red in some spots. In the next four hours, I laid on my stomach, laid on my back and switched back and forth between the two. I realized a couple of times that I had fallen asleep while laying out and these times occurred while on my stomach (I just typically sleep that way). It was great while I was out there. I had my mp3s and the sound of the ocean, which was less than twenty feet away. There were very few other people out by the pool. It was so relaxing and thinking about it now makes me wish I could do that for four hours each day of my life. I'm certain I would be a much more relaxed person in general if I could.

When I went back up to my room I felt the burn on my back. I checked it in the mirror and noticed more red than I had had before. I also noticed that I didn't have that much color overall. What a rip-off. Four hours in the sun and only a light tan (and some burn) to show for it?

I went to get some food (because it was lunch time). I ate at Denny's and had a Grand Slam. Not quite sure why I was in the mood for breakfast at 2:30 in the afternoon, but I was.

When I returned to my room, I was exhausted and my back hurt A LOT. I checked it in the mirror again and it was lobster red... and it covered my whole back. "How did that happen?" I thought. I had extra SPF on me... ugh.

So, I used some aloe vera gel and fell asleep on the hotel bed.

When I woke, it was dark. And I was very groggy. I think the sun burn took a lot out of me. I took a coldish shower and then turned the hot water off completely, letting it cool my back down. I put on more aloe vera and got dressed. This was the last night of my vacation and I wanted it to be a good one. My plan was to get some food at the Mai Tai Bar, which I did, and then head over to a place called the 509 Lounge, which I saw on Wednesday night and was hopping then. Once there, I stood in line behind some very dressed up youth-ish looking folks. They were all generally acting like assholes and I thought, "the whole placed can't be full of assholes..." Then I got up to the bouncer checking IDs. He said, "Are you with the frats?" And it all began to make sense. For a brief second I thought to myself, "I could lie and say 'Yes, I am with the frats,' but that would mean that I would get in and be stuck amongst a bunch of assholes." So, I said, "No," took my ID back and walked away happily.

I decided to go to Razzle's again, the crazy dance club I attended the night before. There was quite literally no one there. I figured I might be too early, so I got a drink and hung around. After a while, four Asian girls walked in. In one section of the club, there are lighted poles (not sure why...) and one of the Asian girls was dancing provocatively around it. I walked over and asked her if I could put a dollar in her shirt. She said, "yes" and we all talked for thirty minutes or so about how lame the club was tonight and where we were all from and how many and what kind of drinks we had all had. I left them with a "nice to meet you" and got myself another drink. They began dancing with themselves on the dance floor.

They left shortly after and so did I. While walking to my car, a very-drunk-or-high-or-both-man asked me if he could draw my picture for money. He had a torn up sheet of paper that looked as if it had been pulled out of the trash. I said, "no" and he prodded me for money. I walked away from him as he stumbled and tried to keep up with me. I lost him around the corner. Then -- no joke -- three steps later, I run into a woman who tells me this obviously made up story about how her friend left her with no gas and went home with a guy and could I please give her some money. I said I didn't have any cash on me and was paying with my debit card. She said, "There is an ATM machine right over there." I said, "I'm not crazy, lady. Leave me alone." And I walked quickly away from her as she huffed and puffed.

I cruised up and down the strip for twenty minutes or so, just to feel the cool night air blow in through my rental car window. Then, I pulled into my hotel parking garage and went up to bed and called it a night.

Almost forgot. I took this picture of a sand sculpture that I saw in many different stages of development each time I went to Ocean Walk area, which is where the Mai Tai Bar is:



When I woke up the next morning, it was actually early: 8:00. I ate breakfast, packed, showered, packed more, and finished packing. Then I checked out and left the hotel. I went to my Grandpa Bordy and Granny Nanny's house and visited with them for a while. My grandpa is in a carving club and he has many cool carvings that he's done around the house. Whenever I visit (every few years or so), he has some new ones mixed in with the ones that I've seen in the past. This time, I took some pictures:





I was quite impressed with the dog, which was a new one since the last time I had seen them. I have one of his early carvings that he did, but it's put away somewhere, I think. He sent me a carving knife once with a block of wood that was started and some instructions on how to do it. I gave it a shot, but just couldn't get into it. Music is my thing.

Anyways, I left their house around 11ish and drove an hour and half to the airport, where I dropped off the rental car, checked my luggage, went through security, and found the terminal that my plane was leaving from. I had intended to blog then, while I waited, but I only had a half an hour before the plane would start boarding. And I was tired and hungry. So I bought a slice of pizza and a coffee. I ate and drank and found I didn't have enough time to blog.

I boarded the plane and when we got in the air, I pulled my laptop out and worked on my screen play. I finished reformatting act II. What I need to do next is type out act III and add the scene numbers to act II and III. Then it needs a couple read throughs and I'll start giving it out to friends to get feedback. I'm excited... while reformatting it I "watched" the scenes unfold in my mind. It's good! I can honestly say that I would enjoy seeing this movie.

Anyways, I took a picture of my Downtown Disney souvenir:



Only six dollars! He is attached to my laptop bag. I also came home with a stuffed Shamu that Tif won (by beating me) at Sea World. I put Shamu on the top of one of my shelves in the living room.

After the plane landed, I went out to eat with my dad and told him about the trip. Then I drove home. On the drive home, I realized how tired I was from the whole thing and I couldn't wait to get into bed. I arrived. Brought my stuff in and dropped it where it was most convenient. Then, at about 7:30 I turned out all the lights and plopped down for some much needed rest. And I stayed in bed until about noon the next day!

Now it's six o'clock on Sunday and I have to start getting myself ready for work tomorrow. Oh work... you silly nine to five thing. So unlike a vacation, you are. You should take a tip from vacation days, work days... sleep in and lay out in the sun... that would be the perfect job. Where do I sign up?