Day 4 (Vacation Diary)

Today, I saw something that I have never seen in real life before...

but first: a catch up.

I woke up this morning late again. I love me some sleeping in time. Got dressed, ate breakfast, and packed my stuff. Then I hopped in my lame rental car and headed off toward Ormond Beach (which is a part of Daytona Beach) and my hotel.

I felt sad leaving Tif's house. I had a blast catching up and just hanging out. Tif is fun 100 percent of the time!

My lame Hyundai Accent became a little less lame when I figured out how to change the EQ on the radio. Whoever had the car before me turned the treble way up and the bass down. WHO TURNS THE BASS DOWN!?!?!?!? No wonder I had to blast the radio just to hear the beat. I fixed the problem and felt a little bit better about driving it.

It took me a little less than an hour to get to my hotel. I checked in and brought my stuff up to my room, smelling the salty sea the entire time. Here are some pictures of my room and the view:







After getting settled and having some lunch, I lathered up in sun tan lotion and went out and laid by the pool. (*NOTE: I would have laid on the beach except it was high tide and there was literally only twenty feet of beach, which includes the area where cars can drive by). Once the sun went behind the hotel, I left the pool-side and walked the beach. Not sure how far I went, but my feet were pretty tired when I returned. I swam in the heated pool and went in the jacuzzi for a bit. Then I went back to my room and took a nap.

When I woke, it was a little after five. I decided to shower and walk down to the downtown area and pier where I had seen some eateries and shopperies (shopperies??) on my way to the hotel. It seemed like it was five minutes from the downtown area and pier when I drove. Somehow, that translated into a half-an-hour/forty-five-minute walk. After a while walking, I considered turning back... then I thought, "that wouldn't be very Frodo-like." So, I kept on.

I did, however, move from walking the sidewalk to walking the beach. At this point it was dark and I could see the neon lights of a "sling-shot" ride in the distance. I took a picture:



As is illustrated in the picture, it was quite a ways away. I walked on, even though I decided that no matter how far I walked, I was never actually going to reach it.

I reached it.

Then I sat down for a long while and rested my aching feet. I wandered around the shops and considered attending the Mai Tai Bar that was there. There weren't many people present and so I decided to just hang out outside. After a while, I explored some of the area nearby -- a lot of places were closed -- and then started my trek back.

There were two scrubbily dressed gentlemen sitting on a bench as I walked by. One of them, (the one with no teeth) asked me if I had any pocket change to spare. I stopped and dug around in my pocket. I pulled out a dollar and asked if they knew anything about the bus schedule (I had seen the bus stop signs and the buses on my way to the shopperies, and didn't want to walk all the back). They explained that there are two buses each hour, but they hadn't seen one in a good while. I thanked them and gave them my dollar. At each bus stop that I passed, I stopped for five minutes or so and waited. No buses came by during the whole hour walk to my hotel.

On the way, I saw some weird stuff...

While waiting at one bus stop, I heard the sound of flip flops pounding the pavement. I turned to see a youngish woman running (or as close to running as you can do when wearing flip flops). She stopped behind a hotel sign and "hid" for a period of time. She smoked a cigarette and then ran off behind the hotel lobby area where she disappeared for a few moments. "That was weird," I thought. Then I heard her flip flops again and she ran down the length of the hotel and disappeared in a stair well. I didn't hear her flip flops after that.

After a while of walking, I had pretty much given up on the bus and began singing to myself to keep my mind off how much my feet hurt while I picked up the pace. I just wanted to get back to the hotel!!

And then I saw her. She was bouncing and walking somewhat provocatively, moving her hips back and forth and her shoulder forth and back. She was wearing a tank top, showing off her mid-driff, which I wished was hidden. Her jeans were very much too tight and they were rolled up at the bottoms. She had a very large bag and she shook her hair back and forth. She was on a corner across the street from where I was walking. She walked back and forth and around in circles. She was "working."

I had never seen a prostitute before in real life. I wondered what might have happened had I been on the other side of the street. Would she have talked to me? What would she have said? I'm sure she would suffixed any statement with "baby" or "sugar" or "honey." I was glad I was on the other side of the street.

As I walked, I thought to myself, "What a weird night!" Then I saw ANOTHER her. This time, she was cute. She seemed too cute to be a working girl. She was on the other side of the street about three blocks away from the other prostitute. She was thin and had blonde hair. I took her for a non-working girl and almost crossed to her side of the street to just walk by her. Then she walked around the corner and a white pick up truck pulled up next to her. I didn't hear what was said, but she eventually got in. "HOLY CRAP!" I thought. Two prostitutes in one night! And two bums! Lucky me!!

I'll have write to my dad and say, "Where did you put me?!?" because he had set me up with the hotel.

Wild.

Anyways, I'm going to call it a night. I'll try the Mai Tai Bar tomorrow. I checked out their website and found that they'll have live music from 5:30 on. Awesome.

I think I'll take the Hyundai tomorrow. Yeah. That's what I'll do.