'twas Christmas

Being that I celebrated Christmas/my-birthday with my family on the Saturday six days before actual Christmas/my-birthday, the 25th of December was rather uneventful. There were no candles to blow and no wishes to make. There was no out-of-tune and out-of-sync singing of happy birthday. And there were no spankings and/or a pinch-to-grow-an-inch. Especially, there were no hugs. There was very little socializing (I attempted to go to a gathering at a friend's place, but no one else was gathering and so I left so the boyfriend/ex-boyfriend -- she and he couldn't seem to agree -- could be there without the oddity of my random being-there-ness).

Even so, I felt mostly fulfilled, as I had received many merry-and/or-happy-birthdays from friends and family via facebook messages, myspace messages, text messages, and phone calls.

I also got to spend my birthday (for the first time in my entire life!) doing just exactly what I wanted to. And for this year, I wanted to play a video game that I had bought myself for my birthday/Christmas (okay. I admit it. I combined a gift for myself...). I spent a good portion of the day sitting on the couch playing... and munching on cheese crackers or popcorn while drinking cream soda (god, I love cream soda). At times, I even mixed a little rum in with the cream soda.

One day turned into three. I ended up spending most of Saturday and Sunday after Christmas doing the same thing. I did take some breaks from gaming throughout the weekend to play guitar and practice the harmonica. Truthfully, I'm learning. My goal is to be able to add little simple riffs (is this the correct terminology?) and things to some of the breaks in my songs. And I'm getting close to my goal. I've found that I can play guitar and harmonica at the same time, which is something that I was worried I wouldn't be able to do.

Well, it's 9:00 on Sunday and I have to get back to reality tomorrow (i.e. work). It's another short week. I'm excited about New Year's Eve. I'm not entirely sure why or what I'm going to be doing that night... but it should be something and it should be exciting!

I think I'll save the end-of-the-year/beginning-a-new-year pondering for another post.