A w k w a r d

It's a new year and I have been out of the house a couple of times so far. Which essentially means I'm not fulfilling my resolution of hybernating until spring. Although, this morning (it's really almost noon), I find myself in bed and not wanting to get out of it regardless of how much crap housework I have to do today. I have heard the phone ring twice and my cell phone buzz once and I haven't made any moves to detach myself from the bed.

One of the times-that-I-left-my-house-so-far-this-year was suppossed to be fun and somewhat fulfilling. It turned out to be awkward and I left.

I went to an open mic night in Fultonville. I had first heard about the open mic some time last summer and had every intention of attending some time. It is held once a month in a basement in a church. I finally made myself go (telling myself it was my new year's resolution to put myself in new situations) this past Saturday night.

I arrived at about ten minutes to seven, found the sign up sheet and wrote my name. I was recognized by two gentleman who I have run into at other local open mics/music events/etc. and went to speak with them. I was introduced to another musician who began asking me about Caffe Lena's open mic.

Soon after that, the host of the Fultonville open mic found me (I had met him at Caffe Lena a month or two back -- it's in my blog somewhere) and we chatted briefly about my finally-making-an-appearance. I was directed to the snacks and drinks, which were neatly laid out on a folding table. I poured myself a plastic cup of grape Fanta. I didn't even know they still made Fanta... or don't they?

I went to the back of the room and sat on a bench that was up against the wall. I drank my Fanta and took a minute to take in my surroundings. The first thing I noticed was that the church basement smelled an awful lot like a church basement... which was not at all pleasant. I then began to notice the people. Many of them looked like people who you might think you'd find in a church basement... and this made me feel uncomfortable. After a few more moments I had finished my Fanta, and feeling uncomfortable about my surroundings, I attempted to move to another area of the back of the room (where there were less people). I moved a little further down the bench, but was instantly met with the what can only be described as the worst case of body odor that I have ever experienced in a church basement (not that I have been in many church basements, mind you). I moved back to my original seat and thought to myself that the music would start soon and the tone would change.

The first song started and it was a song about Christmas... it contained a not-very-gentle reminder that Christmas is about Jesus and not gifts and you should be thankful that Jesus loves you. I let that one slide. The next song had little to do with religion, and was somewhat good. Then the next few songs were sung out of hymn book and I made my decision: leave.

I put on my coat, scratched my name off the list, and made my exit.

As I drove home, I chided myself for my poor decision making skills and stupid resolution. I also felt a little bit bad that I showed up and then disappeared. However, I returned home, played some songs, and pretended that the awkwardness didn't happen.