Eighty Two

It is approximately fifty years before I will eighty-two. The only reason that I allow myself to think about that is because today is the 50th Anniversary Celebration for Caffe Lena. And as I relax, by sipping an iced coffee at Uncommon Grounds, after a long day of helping celebrate and being immersed in the history of the first fifty years of the Caffe, I can't help but wonder how they will celebrate the one hundred year anniversary (centennial?). Will there even be musicians then? Or will there just be robots that play midi? Truthfully, if any one place in the entire world that WILL still have live humans playing instruments and singing, it will be Caffe Lena. And when you materialize in Saratoga Springs, and people look at you like you are insane for physically carrying an oddly shaped brief case (guitar case), Caffe Lena will still be there next to the Jetson's home, and you will still walk up that tight little staircase into that cozy little room.

I may or may not be there. Eighty two is a bit of a stretch... I may still exist fifty years from now, but to what extent? Maybe my head will live on in some weird science experiment sort of thing... more probably, I'll be completely forgotten by that time... or maybe there will be a picture of me up at what is left of the Caffe.

I feel really lucky to have been asked to be a part of the fifty year celebration. I've only known of the Caffe seven or so years... (I lost count after five...), so to be asked to busk (play out on the street for change) to benefit and raise awareness of the Caffe (and to create a city wide musical event) was pretty cool.

I busked between the hours of ten and four at various locations around the city. I let friends know and some stopped by or drove by and waved from time to time. In between playing, I checked out some of the other buskers: Emily Smith, Mark Stewart, Mike Grutka, Kate Blain, Ray Pashoukos, Phil Drum, and Willie the Moak. It was fun to meet up with musician friends here and there and to visit with them while we were each on our separate ways to various busking points. I also ran into some other friends of the Caffe and saw many people who are associated with Lena's who may or may not know who I am, but who are well known for working with the caffe for such a long period of time that I certainly know who they are.

The busking was a blast. I didn't really make very much in tips this time around... (and what I did make was donated to Lena's) but I was given a sign with my name on it and information about the Caffe. I plan to put it up in my house somewhere. I am, however, wiped out. I played for over three hours total and my fingers are calloused up. My voice is tired and my back is strained. Thus, the relaxing. I'll probably nap in the park later...

During one of my busking breaks, Lydia (Lidia?) Something-or-other from the Post Star introduced herself and asked me if I would answer their Question of the Week or something. I asked her what the question was... She said: "What advice do you have for the graduating class of 2010?" And a lot of answers popped in to my head: (You will not find a job. You will owe a lot of money in college loans. Don't be a dick. Life sucks. You're going to die. Don't accept advice from random people on the street.) I ended up saying, "Don't take life too seriously, because everyone ends up in the same place at the end." I am looking forward to seeing my picture in the paper with my awful advice to the future of our world... (and to the people who are going to be paying my social security -- assuming there will still be that when I am old and retiring).