Waking and What is Sometimes Wrong With Open Mic

I feel like I just woke up after a very long nap... kind of groggy. A little disoriented. The phrase, "what just happened?" on my lips. I have been sick for a little over two weeks now with a sinus infection. I was put on antibiotics, which made everything much better, but didn't clear me up completely. So, I was given more and different antibiotics, which really wiped me out and made my stomach feel awful. I stopped taking them and am finally feeling like myself -- whatever that is...

It really sucks being sick for as long as I was, especially in the summer. I feel like I missed out on multiple weekends of busking, seeing shows, hanging out in the park or other social places...

Today, I relaxed around the house and did some housework -- finally. The place was really a mess. When you are not feeling well, you tend not to wash dishes or vacuum.

This past Thursday, while being sick but on antibiotics, I attended open mic night. It was a packed house for most of the night -- a few performers had brought groups of friends and really filled the place up. I hosted and played a song at the beginning of the night and one at the end. I played For the First Time to a packed house of about 80 people and then One Shadow in the Sun at the end of the night to about 7. What's strange is that each performance was special in its own way -- which is something I love about playing at open mic.

One thing that I dislike about open mic -- and especially hosting -- is all the bizarre requests I get from people who expect some sort of privilege over every other performer that signs up. As the night progresses, people ask me if they can play sooner than the time slot that they signed up for. No. You can't. There is a system. There are rules. And everyone who comes to open mic must abide by them... not just everyone else. No exceptions. Not even if you are young and it's past your bed time... or you are old and have traveled far. The whole purpose of the system and the rules is to create fairness. All performers are created equal and if I were to bend the rules or forsake the system for you then it would not be fair to the other performers. It would create inequality between you and the others.

And this is what I say to people when they say,

"My friends came to see me play and they need to leave."

Did you tell them there was a possibility you might get picked to play last?

"I have to work early tomorrow."

So does everyone else!

"It's a school night!"

Guess you should consider attending an open mic that doesn't occur on a school night instead of one that does.

"I should play first, because I'm awesome."

Then I'll buy a ticket for your show at SPAC -- oh wait, you're really not that awesome are you?

The worst part about being the host, is that I have to be the dick and tell people these things. I shouldn't have to, though. People should be able to come in to a setting and follow the system and/or rules without need for special exceptions.

I have come in late to open mic plenty of times. I put my name at the end of the list. I either stayed late and played or left early. I can do it; so can you. I have had people come to see me play. They have complained about having to stay late and rather than ask for a special exception to the rules, I asked other people on the list if they would mind switching spots with me and I would owe them one in return. I have even given up my sweet number 4 or 6 spot and taken a later one for non-pretentious friendly open mikers who typically follow the rules when they have asked politely. I have never given up a sweet time slot, however, for people who I have found to be pretentious and who leave directly after they play.

It's a community at open mic and in order for a community to be successful, there has to be agreed up on rules that the members of the community abide by. If not, the community fails.

I find it funny* that the community of the open mic is based on fairness and equality (two virtuous morals if you were to ask me) and, yet, there are people who cannot fit into this system.

* funny -- meaning deeply disturbing in this sense.