Knuckles

I feel like it's been at least a year if not close to two years since the last time I saw Knuckles at Caffe Lena's open mic. There was a period of time when he was coming quite regularly, but he moved to Lake George and only attended open mic sporadically since then. I got to introduce Knuckles a few times while hosting and remember being excited to do so on each of those accounts.

I vaguely remember overhearing a conversation in which Knuckles' real name was used... I interjected, "So that's your real name." But, now, I can't for the life of me remember what it is. And I'm sorry that it escapes me.

Knuckles was in his late teens and in his early twenties while I knew him at open mic. He was awkward and somewhat shy, but -- like me -- developed an outgoing personality through performing and the necessity of having some sort of "stage presence."

I don't recall Knuckles' first performance at open mic. However, I'm certain I -- like many others -- were initially disgusted by his unusual talent. How many people, after all, can play a melody by cracking his or her knuckles? Knuckles did it weekly at open mic and was able to fill ten minutes time with short and easily recognizable tunes.

Sometime in Knuckles' early performances he asked people in the crowd for suggestions of things to learn. He taught himself the 1812 Overture, Mary Had a Little Lamb, The Super Mario Brothers Theme Song (as well as Bowser's Castle's Theme), The Adams Family (a particular favorite among open mikers), and many others. I asked if he could do the theme song to Scooby-Doo. He couldn't at the time, but debuted it the following week. From that point on he would look at me with a half-smile every time he played it. I would clap extra hard.

Knuckles' talent was a wonderful addition to the weekly open mic. There are times when there are dancers, comedians, poets and suchlike. But, open mic tends to be pretty standard as far as what each act brings to their ten minute slot (guitar and vocals). Having someone play melodies on their knuckles... now that's something you don't see/hear every day.

I remember having an in-depth discussion with Knuckles on one occasion about figuring out what songs to play each night. As a performer with a large amount of songs that I can play, I often forget what's available to me on any given night and have had to compile a list of "what I know" in order to have something to pick from. Knuckles was no different and also had a list. There were times when he also made a set list for his open mic performances.

Knuckles typically wore black, but his demeanor was never "dark."

I was quite saddened to find out that he had commit suicide recently.

I scoured the Internet last night in search of some video of Knuckles performing. I was unsuccessful.

Knuckles has friends at open mic. One friend of his, who also had not been at open mic in quite some time, stopped in last night to deliver the news to the rest of us ("us" being open mic people). Daniel Lavine (spelling?), the friend, said that Knuckles was fond of the people at open mic and he would want us to know about his death. Truthfully, hearing that choked me up.

Open mic last night had a somewhat somber tone to it as I allowed Daniel to make an announcement regarding a memorial for Knuckles. Many of the regulars (especially the ones who knew Knuckles) played songs about death or departure -- that's just how us musician types deal with this type of stuff.

Knuckles, wherever you are: I hope you are freaking the hell out of people with your cracking knuckles and wrists... and at Caffe Lena Open Mic, you will be missed.