Christmas Morning

It's Wednesday night... what an odd time to blog, right? Typically on any given Wednesday at this time, I'm watching some TV or a movie and possibly doing some chores around the house. I'm not doing either of those things right now (though, I really should clean some more since I *gasp* have a girl coming over to the house Saturday...). I worked late, am still in my work clothes, and I feel kind of perplexed.

First, some hilarity from work. Sometimes my job requires me to ride in a police car (with a police person, of course). I get to ride in the front seat, which -- I would imagine -- is a lot less conspicuous than riding in the back seat. This particular time, I was with a Sheriff and we were leaving Schenectady (for reasons that have to do with my job and which I shall not discuss at this time). While stopped at a light, a vehicle pulled up next to us (on the passenger side) and the driver indicated that I should roll down my window. I did and the driver said, "Hey guys, a couple blocks back there was just an accident. It's a six car pile up. You need to check it out." I said, "Thank you kind citizen..." (I really didn't say that). The Deputy said, "We'll check it out. Thanks." If you'll notice, I was completely included in this "check(ing) it out" as he stated "we'll" do it and just "I'll" do it. So, I felt -- somewhat -- like part of the police force. The Deputy put his lights on and the siren and cars pulled out of our way and he gunned it through the crowd of cars at the light, did a speedy u-turn, and gunned it back up the road while more cars pulled off to the side and out of our way. Meanwhile, I'm holding on for dear life thinking "This is freaking awesome!" Then he gets to the accident scene and gets out of the car and starts doing his thing (taking statements, assessing damage and safety, etc.). I sit there patiently waiting, while the lights on the car continue to flash, and cars drive by slowly. Some drivers notice me sitting in the police car with a polite smile on my face. I make eye contact with them and they look at me with strange looks.
A W K W A R D...

Eventually, the local police arrive and the Deputy (from a completely different county mind you) comes back to the car and we head back to where we were going.

Ok. So it wasn't a hilarious story, but you tell me about the time you were in a police car and got to rush to a scene with lights flashing and sirens blaring!




----




Right. On to me-being-perplexed. It's almost Halloween and I am happily excited! Because it's Hall-o-freakin-ween! I love Halloween. Always have. I love the opportunity to design my clothing to look as if I'm not who I actually am. I like going out where there are other people doing the same thing. I like drinking and acting like I'm not who I actually am. I like talking about what I'm going to be wearing. I like talking about what other people are wearing. I like going up to people dressed like (some character from some movie or TV show, etc.) and saying "(some line that the aforementioned character would recognize from the movie or TV show etc.)" I like seeing really well-done costume jobs and praising those who created them. I like laughing at people who are lame with their costumes because they are uncreative and they clearly suck.

This year, I'm especially in my element because last week I dressed up in zombie attire and walked with a bunch of other like-minded weirdos for a "Zombie Walk" -- which, if you look up on Wikipedia -- is a new "thing" that is gaining in popularity across the country. My friend Bill and I both dressed up and did our best with our make up, blood, and costumes. We attended a Zombie Prom afterwards, though we didn't stay long.

This weekend, I will be dressing up for Halloween twice more. Friday with some co-workers. And Saturday with my core group of friends and the aforementioned girl that is coming over. I'm so excited! THREE DRESS UPS IN ONE YEAR! GLEE!

Some people, however, are not as excited about Halloween as I am and this completely perplexes me. I feel somewhat like the kid in elementary school who sits down next to a Jewish kid at lunch and says excitedly, "Did you write Santa your letter?! I asked for a PS3!" And the Jewish kid says, "I f*cking hate you."

However, Halloween is a secular holiday... or is that non-secular? (I get the two confused) There is no religion associated with it. Some historians may say differently, but -- you know what? -- Halloween has become an "American" holiday and doesn't have anything to do with religion anymore. Much like Christmas and Easter...

Truthfully, I don't see what there is not to like about Halloween. Then again, there are haters everywhere you go and even people who hate other specific holidays. For example, I hate Easter. I hate the plastic crap and the baskets and pastel colors. Not to mention the concept of a bunny rabbit (of all things) that delivers you stuff is incredibly pointless and stupid. Some will argue that on Easter we gather to celebrate the resurrection of Christ -- which is another concept that I find to be incredibly pointless and stupid.

But I digress...

I'd rather celebrate Halloween than any other holiday (Even though, Halloween is not technically a "holiday"). Christmas is great, in that I get to see my family and spend some time with them, but it's never on Christmas and the "magic" so-to-speak of what Christmas is all about is gone. Christmas is also my birthday and because of the nature of how most people spend Christmas (with their families), I am forced (due to those circumstances) to spend my birthday alone. That leaves Thanksgiving, which I love because of the turkey and other wonderful food things. However, I am jaded about the intent of the holiday and the misrepresentation on what happened between colonists and Native Americans and the BS that we are lead to believe in history class...

So, to recap: Easter is stupid, Christmas is magic-less, my Birthday is lonely, and Thanksgiving is the raping and murdering of people who WERE HERE FIRST!

Which leaves Halloween! AND I GET TO DRESS UP THREE TIMES!