1/1/11

One, one, one-one.

It's just about 11:11 (PM) on 1/1/11. Which is throwing my tired mind into a complete numerological tail spin... Should I make a wish? Should I send an annoying twitter post about it, so my friends can ridicule me later? Should I just forget about it all together?

Last night, of course, was New Year's Eve. And it was a freaking blast. I have to say it was one of the better parties that I've ever attended. A few of us made and brought food (I did this cream cheese and olive roll-thing, which took about an hour to make). Some brought champagne. Everyone was in a pretty super mood. Oh yeah... and we all dressed up -- which was absolutely excellent! It was a great end to 2010, but was not the greatest of great things that occurred at the end of the year.

On 12/30/2010, while on lunch break with co-workers, I received the most exciting news ever via text message from my brother, Josh: "Liliana James. 5lbs 5ounces. Born 12/30 1pm." Thus, I became an uncle.

I can't really describe in words the way I am feeling about the being-an-uncle thing. I also can't figure out why I'm so incredibly sappy over this beautiful little baby. Pictures make me cry... I want to touch her and talk to her. I have never had these sort of feelings over other babies, though... in fact, I typically find it annoying when people respond this way over other babies. I have held other babies... a nephew-in-law and a niece-in-law. Didn't feel a thing. Couldn't wait to give them back to someone else... I guess it's different because this niece is my niece... and I'm actually the only uncle. Wow. I just realized that... I've got a serious role to play...

The best text message in the world that I have ever received came from my brother after I asked him, "Is everyone doing all right?" a few hours after I had learned about the birth. He texted: "Everyone is great. Jenn is eating a cheeseburger and Lily is sleeping on me..." awwwwwww... tears... sap.

Being that this development occurred on a Thursday, I got to talk about it on stage at open mic. Of course, I dedicated my songs to the new babe. I played, "Breaking Free," which does not have anything to do with babies or being-an-uncle or anything like that... but I do think the thoughts in the song convey good uncley advice.

Here are the lyrics:
Once a little girls was tying her shoe lace,
but a mask of confusion consumed her little face.
And it takes too much time when you fail to succeed.
So, she kicked off her shoes and ran around in bare feet.

For the sake of breaking free. For the chance just to be.

So, she dances and sings and the sun shines,
but she hides like a child when it gets in her eyes.
So, she runs away. She runs to the shade. (Last night I sang:
She runs to uncle James)
And then, once again, she is able to play.

For the sake of breaking free. For the chance just to be.

Well, it can't always be a story book day.
As sure as the sun comes up, it does go away.
And times will get tough, but times will be fun.
You live only once, make the most of the sun.

For the sake of breaking free. For the chance just to be.


I followed that up with "For the First Time," which is about a new beginning, and so it applies quite well.

The chorus is:
"I'm stepping outside
for the first time
in a long time."


I started the song out really low-key -- playing and singing lightly -- but built it up slightly. After singing the chorus once, and then the second verse, I said, "It's pretty easy, right? You guys can sing along." And the audience joined me on the chorus. Directly after the second chorus, the bridge comes in. I built it up a little more, held out the last note of the bridge, and dived right into the last chorus with louder strumming and full out vocals. The audience continued to sing along and I had one of those out of body experience where you feel like you are watching yourself perform and it's good.

I got some nice compliments after finishing it up.

It was a great open mic to end the year with. Really great friends and really great songs. Jennifer Holmes was in town and played one of her most lovely songs. Victoria Bouffard was there and has been attending regularly -- her songs are always pretty. Maurizio literally owned Rocket Man, while wearing Victoria's shiny jacket.

After open mic ended, I really wanted to spend time with Jenn while she was in town. Instead, I had to get home and get some sleep. Friday (New Year's Eve) was a busy day.

I woke up early and did some cleaning around the house, laundry, dishes, etc. Then I did some major cleaning of my car and headed down to Albany to Lia Honda to test drive a new (well, "pre-owned") vehicle. I did that, fell in love with the young saleswoman that rode along with me on the test drive, but didn't buy the car because it was the base model and I think I can get the sport model from another dealer.

I then headed to the mall to find some classy clothes for the party. This is what I ended up with:





I absolutely love the jacket. I wish it was a full out tux, though. I got it at H&M at Crossgates in Albany. They had a few variations on the style, but no pants to match. Sad, really. But it matched the fedora quite well. (I am also very much proud of myself for dressing me up in such a way that resulted in multiple compliments from just about everyone at the party).



The night ended around 2:30 for everyone except a few of us. I ended up on the couch and drifted in and out of consciousness while my friends discussed politics and finished off the last bottle of champagne. I recall developing devils-advocate-like arguments and other thoughts to some of the talking points I overheard, but I'm not too sure I vocalized any of them in a coherent manner or at all...

Anyways, 2010 went out with a bang. Lots of last minute excitement to what was actually quite an exciting year. However, it's now just about 1/2/11 and, so, I'm going to call it a night and do my yearly end-of-year blogging another day.