Idle Idols

I have been speaking my mind a lot lately about American Idol. Since the new season started a few weeks ago (*note: I wouldn't even know it had started if it weren't for the cornucopia of facebook comments that my friends post about it) I have been making comments via facebook and face to face conversations. Because I've been so vocal about it, I have been getting a lot of crap about my thoughts and opinions on the show from friends. In response to that, I've decided to write a detailed blog entry as a sort of one-stop shop of everything I've said about American Idol and also to respond to comments that friends have made about what I've said in order to sum everything up in a clear and somewhat concise matter. It's kind of like an essay...

Firstly, I hate American Idol. Let's just get that out there. I hate reality television with a passion, really. I used to enjoy Road Rules and some Real World back when the people on the show were actually acting somewhat real. However, reality television over the years has bounded away from any sort of sensible reality and has become just more pre-scripted entertainment with pseudo-actors. (Anyone who thinks that these reality TV shows are just collecting random people off the street and putting them on these programs needs a reality check: these shows put out casting calls and people trying out for the show have to go through the same process that any actor has to go through to win a part. Also, many reality programs are looking for certain "types" to fill certain roles in the show. Which -- ultimately -- is not what happens in reality.)

When I first saw an advertisement (what seven/eight years ago?) for American Idol when it first came out, I rolled my eyes and sighed heavily. I knew it was going to create waves in popular music. Although, by the end of the first season, I was shocked to see the monster that it had become. People really liked the concept and -- even worse -- they like the music that the winner created. Overly produced pop love songs polluted the radio.

Don't get me wrong. I see the draw to one of the concepts of the show. A concept of which I can actually follow. It starts with a number of "contestants." They show clips of each persons back story. You get to know these people on TV and sort of develop a relationship with them as you watch their trials and tribulations of working towards the ultimate dream: to be come famous. As a viewer, you really get to be a part of their quest. You get to participate in their dream when they do achieve it at the end of the season. I can certainly understand why someone would become invested and excited about this. I remember watching Star Search when I was a kid...

There is also another concept: the contest. Singers are handed a microphone, given a backing track (or band), and are told to sing. They sing a catchy pop song. Sometimes they know the song. Other times, they do not and they get to read the words. Is their any denying that singing along to a backing track while reading the words isn't Karaoke? i don't think you can back up the argument that American Idol isn't Karaoke. I don't care how great of a singer you are, this is karaoke kids. American Idol is a glorified Karaoke contest.

Please understand that I have nothing against karaoke contests... In fact, I love karaoke! I have seen some amazing singers sing at karaoke events. I love singing cheesy pop songs and acting like a nut in front of people... It's fun. I like to make a set list. We should all go sometime... But, can we please make a deal and start calling an apple an apple? American Idol is Karaoke.

The problem I have with glorified karaoke, is that it makes music into a contest. True, I am familiar with Battle of the Bands and other talent shows where judges or viewers are involved in deciding which one is best. However, I have grown to dislike these events. Yes, I understand that a winner of a battle of the bands can receive money, recording packages, equipment, etc. And that is all good for the band. My problem with the contest concept is this: Why does it take a contest (a "battle," a "war," pitting one against the other) to get people to show up and watch/listen to this stuff? Do we love war that much that we need non-soldiers to fight in order to enjoy it? Why does it have to be a fight? Why can't we just go out to enjoy music? Do we not enjoy music? We need another element to entertain us? "Hey, let's go to a battle of the bands!" "Sorry, dude, I'm against war. But, I'd love to attend a band showcase!"

This brings me to my next problem with American Idol: I have many friends who post quite a lot on facebook and in blogs or talk about in conversations about their favorite contestant. They talk about them as if they are people they know. As I said earlier, I understand the draw to the concept of joining along with these people on their musical journey to become famous. But, if you love this concept so much and want to be a part of these people's lives, why are you not going out to see live music in your area? Why are you not supporting local musicians? I said on facebook that you can get behind some random chick from North Platte, Nebraska that you'll never meet in person, but you haven't once gone to see your facebook friend who lives in the same town as you play a show. I just don't understand how this is possible. American Idol on TV easily consumes 4 to 5 plus hours of your life a week (it's on TV for like 3 and then you spend time talking about it). You can't spend 2 hours a month at an open mic? Or even a half an hour once every four months at a local musician/facebook friend's coffee house gig?

Many of my friends have made the statement that they can't make it out that often due to other responsibilities. I hear ya. I do. I decline invites to friends' shows often enough. But, I do get out there on a regular basis.

Honestly, though, you can't go out once a month to do something you supposedly enjoy? (In other words, you like music and musicians enough. You must enjoy it.) If you like it, why aren't you making time to go out and see it? You make the time to watch it on TV.

Another comment that I get a lot from friends is that I only complain about American Idol because I'm jealous. Not in the fucking least people. News Flash: The winner of American Idol is not the end all and be all to rock stardom. It's definitely not the goal of a true musician. Speak to one, they'll open you up to a whole world that American Idol barely scratches the surface of. And this may come as a shock, but, many of us are not in it for rock stardom, money, or fame. Most of us do it to play music because we love music and/or it is such a huge part of who we are that we would be lost without it. There is a lot more to music/songwriting/performing than getting on TV.

Would I love to be a famous rock star who everyone talks about, blogs about, and dreams about? Yes. I would. Do I need to enter contests to get there? No. I don't. And neither do any other musicians. Before American Idol, would be rock stars played music in clubs and bars. Songwriters played at open mics. They put in the time in the trenches -- so-to-speak -- and they worked at their skills on stages. They earned fame and fortune the hard way by putting in the work. They did not enter glorified karaoke contests. And they certainly did not pollute the sanctity of their music by showing up on reality TV.

As far as the jealousy aspect is concerned, I cannot express to you how little jealousy plays in my thoughts and feelings about this television show. Let me try to help you understand this. The excitement that I get when playing at Caffe Lena's open mic night every week is something that I cannot even begin to explain. I play on the same stage that Bob Dylan played on when he was an up and comer. He most likely played early renditions of songs that show up on all of his greatest hits collections. Ani Difranco played multiple shows at Caffe Lena. G Love and Special Sauce played there while attending college in Saratoga Springs. Allegedly, "American Pie" was first played for an audience in the very room that I play my own songs in for the first time. This may sound like it's not a big deal to you. I did warn you that I wouldn't be able to explain it.

As far as I know, no one on any reality television show has played anywhere near Caffe Lena. You say that someone on TV critiqued your karaoke skills? I should be jealous of that? You should be jealous that I host open mic night at the very place that contributed greatly to the 60's folk movement. You should be jealous that I get to share songs with amazing songwriters and receive honest feedback from people who have won awards for their writing. I have had nationally touring songwriters tell me that they enjoyed my writing.

Speaking of feedback... Another problem that I have with American Idol is the critiques. Come on viewers... read between the lines here. The comments they make are for entertainment purposes. They are actors and they are acting. It isn't real. It isn't reality. Most of the critiques are just arbitrarily made comments to kill time and keep the viewer tuned in. They say things purposely to keep you watching, not because they feel/think/or care about what they actually feel or think. It's fake! Like the third love of my life said so eloquently on an MTV awards show: "This World is Bullshit!" And Fiona Apple is one hundred percent right.

How do you feel about watching a world of bullshit? How do you feel that you invest so much of yourself in it? Do you feel good about it?

"Well," you might say, "Chill out. I know it's only entertainment. It's mostly harmless fun."

Understood. It's your thing. I have plenty of guilty pleasures that I allow to take up my time: for instance, I like to blast Pat Benatar while cleaning and sing at the top of my lungs and play air guitar with the swiffer duster... we're all entitled to it. And I definitely respect those who will admit to their guilty pleasures. I even dated a girl who said she watched American Idol (true, it didn't last, but it didn't have to do with the show). She admitted it was stupid and she was insanely cute... but that's beside the point.

So, watch away... I don't even mind tongue in cheek comments about the show. It's the week after week devotion to American Idol and continuous lack of interest in actual working musicians that kills me and prompted my confrontational stand point.

Another thing I hear from friends (and I'm hoping they are joking) is that I "suck" and so they don't come to see me play. Maybe they have watched my crappy videos online, or I have brought my guitar to work or a friend's place some time. Firstly, you are allowed to your opinion. And I admit whole-heartedly that I have a long way to go before I'm where I would like to be. I am not a very strong singer, but I'm improving. My harmonica skills are sub-elementary at best and my guitar playing style is pretty standard. I'm definitely not breaking any new ground. So, if you don't like what I'm doing, I'm okay with it; but, there are plenty of amazing performing musicians in this area that deserve your attention and you've never heard of them. There is really no excuse not go out and see someone play live locally.

And that is what this entire post is about. Get out and see local music. Support local musicians on their musical endeavors. We are every where. There are between 2 and ten open mics going on within driving distance from my house every night of the wee. Come along with me sometime. I typically only go on Thursdays, but I'll hit up a different open mic from time to time and if I have a companion it makes it a special occasion to do something different. Uncomfortable about going to see a local band? I'll go with you. I love going out to see live music! I'll even attend a *blah* Battle of the Bands (although, I'll call it a showcase the entire time).

I'm sure I'll continue to spout off about American Idol via facebook and face to face conversations. I won't apologize for it. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Consider it my "war" (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). I'm fighting back the flood of comments by facebook friends and face to face friends stating that they are watching or will be watching or watched American Idol and such and such happened or they really like so and so and dislike someone else. My hope is that my comments, while initially fueled by hate, open up some eyes and perhaps shed some light on what else is out there.