The Snow and Mother Nature's Evil Plot to Destroy Me... Oh, and Also a Video

I am lying on my bed in a heap of exhaustion after cleaning out the six plus inches from my driveway.

It is still snowing...

I'm tired and angry that mother nature is out to destroy me and my personal life. True, I kicked her ass and defied her many a time before. And while I won the battle of my driveway for now, I have resolved myself to give up on my plans for tonight.

All this week, I have been looking forward to today. Railbird and Sean Rowe dual CD release show in Albany. Not only was I totally looking forward to this show (Railbird has a pretty engaging sound and Sean Rowe recently reached a huge musician milestone by getting signed by a pretty big label), but I was also meeting up with someone who I had also met up with the week before.

Are you happy mother nature? You got me. Now, you owe me big time. How about a little sunshine sooner than expected?

I am so tired of winter and so desperately in need of some sunshine that I bought a car air freshener that smells like sun tan lotion... My car now smells like summer time at the beach...

Last night at open mic I played a new song I wrote, which is partly inspired by pictures of a tropical beach that someone sent to me. It is called Some Kind of Dream and the narrator essential closes his/her eyes and when they open them, they are on a tropical island and someone is there showing them sea shells and coconuts and whatever. There is a lot of imagery of the tropical beach setting, which was inspired by the pictures. The rest of the story is pretty much made up.

Here is a video of the song:



Here are the words:

The sun rises on the horizon
As shadows recede from the beach
Waves wash away the impressions
Made from our wandering feet

I was stuck in a rut when I shut my eyes
I awoke standing here in the sand
A tropical sun, island paradise
And you were there taking my hand

We met, you and I, on this island
In the middle of some kind of dream
Tell me, did I dream you?
Or was it you who had dreamed me?

You showed me a collection of sea shells
And we drank from a coconut piece
I asked if I was under some spell
You turned and you whispered to me

We met, you and I, on this island
In the middle of some kind of dream
Tell me, did I dream you?
Or was it you who had dreamed me?

At some point we’ll have to say we’re done
And allow an end to this dream
For now we’ll just lie watching the sun
Slip slowly into the sea

We met, you and I, on this island
In the middle of some kind of dream
Tell me, did I dream you?
Or was it you who had dreamed me?


Open mic was pretty sweet. It was a packed house. Barely standing room only! It was a one song night, but it didn't feel as rushed as one song nights often feel. There were a lot of great performances. I sold a handful of CDs, which was pretty wonderful and received some great compliments. At the end of the night, Kate Blain let me play a song to end things. I played For the First Time and had everyone singing along. I continue to get great feedback on the song.

Here is a video of For the First Time:



You'll have to listen to the words... sorry :)