"Ball-Busters"

When I was a wee lad... when I was a little kid, there were times when my dad would take me places (grocery store, ice cream place, his work, etc) -- typical type places where a dad would take his kid -- and on such occasions, we would run into people-that-my-dad-knows. Being a courteous person, my dad would introduce me to such people. Sometimes, my dad would say, "Hey-hey, (person's name). How are you? This is my son (James)*" And my dad would turn to me and say "(James), this is (person's name)." My dad would then explain to me how this person is someone-that-he-knows.

Most of the time, some light conversation would ensue while I drifted off into some dream-like/euphoric state of mind. However, there were times when my dad added that this person whom he just introduced to his son "is a Ball-Buster."

A "Ball-Buster?"

At some point, my dad had explained to me what a "Ball-Buster" was. It's someone who "busts balls." Obviously. In layman terms, it's someone who makes jokes at your expense by "busting" on you.

Quite often after my dad would introduce someone as a "Ball-Buster," this person would go on to make some down-right nasty comment about my dad, my dad's stature, something my dad had done at work the other day, something my dad has never done (but this person clearly believes so and needs to tell everyone), something about me, etc. And we would all laugh and go about our day.

As a kid, I didn't pay much thought to the "Ball-Busters," (after all, my dad was taking me for ice cream or something and I had more important things to think about) but as an adult, I can't help but develop my thoughts further on the label that my dad gave out during introductions rather often.

You see, while I don't recall exact statements made by the "Ball-Busters" that my dad introduced me to, I do recall the statements being crude, non-humorous, and completely and utterly detestable things to say in polite, superficial conversation. (Not to mention they were said around a 7 or 8 year old kid!).

In the typicalities of my day to day existence, I come across people often enough who make similar comments that I just don't see any place for in polite conversation. When I find myself on the receiving end of one of these comments, I often think, "Oh hey! This guy is a "Ball-Buster!"

As an adult, I have a much worse term to use to describe these people...

But, I can't help thinking back to when I was younger and I was introduced to the "Ball-Busters." It was like a happy-go-lucky term of (almost) endearment, as if to say, "Look! Here comes Tom the Ball-Buster! Busting everyone's balls! He's Tom, Fun Tom! Tom, the Ball-Buster." And a very Robin Williams-in-a-musical type characters prances in making nasty comments about everything and everyone, but we all just laugh it off 'cause it's just Tom being Tom! Gosh, golly, gee! That Tom!

Today, I looked up "Ball-Buster" in merriam-webster. It says "a person who is relentlessly aggressive, intimidating, or domineering." It adds that a "Ball-buster" is "sometimes vulgar." I also looked up asshole, which gives part of the definition as "detestable" and is described as "vulgar."

I hate "Ball-Busters." I hate Tom. Truth be told, I hate Robin Williams, too. Don't get me wrong, I love a good "Ball-Busting" when a friend slips up and you call him or her out on it. I like to follow it up with a pat on the back of the "Bustee" (person being busted on). I hate when someone in any given situation results to the "Ball-Busting."

There are just some times when you don't bust someone balls. If you do it at the wrong time (when being introduced to your co-workers kid, for a random example), then you are un-labeled "Ball-Buster" and re-labeled "Asshole."

Thus, please be aware of when and why and who you are "Ball-Busting." More specifically, if you are going to bust my balls, you damn sure better be a) a good friend, b) patting me lovingly on the back, and c) saying, "I'm just busting your balls, buddy." If you're not, you're an asshole.

*I was typically introduced as "Jimmy" when I was a wee la -- little kid.