Does Anyone Buy Anything That People Try To Sell Them At Their Front Door?

I came home from work today with the intention of mowing my lawn... I was sidetracked when as soon as I walked in the back door, the front doorbell rang. I answered the door (despite my having-to-go-to-the-bathroom) because I didn't think there was going to be anyone there. I didn't see anyone on the street when I pulled in my driveway and the doorbell that I own operates on frequencies and has been known to randomly go off without anyone around to push the button. To my dismay there were two dick-ish looking men standing there with shark-esque smiles on their faces. The taller of the two was wearing a full-on, ill-fitting suit. My mind instantly went to "these are guys are going to try to sell me something... probably a gas provider."

"I don't have time right now," was my introduction.

The shorter guy with fierce eyes (I wasn't listening to what he said. Instead, I simply noted his pushy salesman-ness and general jerk-face-ery for laughs later on. I hate these types of people) began with his spiel. But this was different. He was explaining to me that National Grid has received multiple complaints about people going door to door trying to scam people into signing contracts for energy or gas suppliers. He gave me an information sheet about my rights and proceeded to explain them to me. He said his company is my current supplier and so National Grid has tasked his company with going door to door to "clean up the mess" left by the previous people going door to door.

Then he said, "I understand that you are in a rush, but I'll only take three minutes of your time. If you get your National Grid bill, I'll show you how you are currently paying too much and how I can lock you in a fixed rate and save you some money."

I explained that I don't have three minutes and that I'd gladly take information from him and review at my leisure.

I don't remember exactly what he said next, but it was so rehearsed and came out so quickly that I literally felt that I had been hit in the face. He didn't stop either. He smiled with that type of grimy look that says, "I know exactly how to eat your face and you wouldn't even see it coming." He continued with another line that was almost somewhat convincing. He named a few of my neighbors that he had helped and pointed at a few houses.

No matter what I said in response to his statements he had something quick and solid sounding to follow it up. It threw me off. It put me on the defensive.

He said he was going to visit my grumpy neighbor on the corner, stating that he had tried them a few moments earlier and they told them to go away because they were eating dinner. He seemed to revel in being annoying to people. Then he said he would come back and try me again.

I told him I was leaving. But, I wasn't leaving... I needed to mow the lawn. Fuck. Fuck this fucker! He is good. I had to lie to him to get him to stay.

I quickly asked him for his card. He said they don't give out any information and asked me again if I had three minutes to get a fixed rate on my energy. I said, "no."

I closed the door without saying good-bye. I quickly logged on to National Grid to see if his company was the one providing me with my electricity. I couldn't found out where it said it was his company.

At this point, I've forgotten the name of the company... I don't have a card or any other pieces of info who the jerk-face and ill-fitting suit-head were. Sucks too. I want to complain about them...