On a Rainy Day

My eyes are all eff'd up. I have been staring at my computer screen for the last three and a half hours. I had attempted to take a break a little while ago, but it was pouring outside and, besides, I was so close to finishing what I was working on... that was about an hour ago.

As usual, I'm hanging out in Uncommon Grounds. When I got here 2:30, it was muggy and sunny out. I was going to have lunch, busk for a bit, and then return to the cafe for a cold drink and typing. After first walking to the Sauve Faire (to look at hats), I decided it was too hot for busking and opted to get my cold drink right away.

While eating lunch, a bagel sandwich (these things always taste so fucking fresh -- it's amazing! I need an Uncommon Grounds in my kitchen...), I ripped some mp3s on to my computer and transferred them to my iPod. I'm in the process of doing this with a good portion of my CDs, trying to get a good mix on the iPod. I do a little at a time because it's a daunting task.

From there, I worked on music related stuff. I had started a Contract (or "agreement") for gigging. I'm going to start going for regular paying gigs. I need to supplement my income or I'm never going to afford to record. I completed the Contract/Agreement, but I want to let it sit (like I do with such things) for a few days before I proof it again. I also worked out a bunch of "cheat sheets" for songs that I am learning. I counted up the songs I typically play on a regular basis. I have two solid hours of music without needing to cheat. However, with cheat sheets, I easily have another two hours. Songs that I use cheat sheets for are ones that I like a lot and I know I'll eventually learn them and songs that I just can't seem to learn and so I need a crutch. Bob Dylan songs, for example, are difficult for me to learn. There are also cheat sheets for songs that are popular and potential requests that I don't really like that much, but will play them for the right crowd.

Having cheat sheets is pretty important because it doubles the amount of music that I can play. And if you are playing the same 30 songs over and over and over again, you lose the enjoyment of playing them. So, you've got to have some other options once in a while.

Right now I'm learning a couple Dylan covers and Have You Ever Seen the Rain. I really like the way the latter is coming out. It's one of those tunes that I've sort of made my own. I'll eventually learn that one and won't need the cheat sheet, I'm sure. I've also got a couple of cheesy 80s tunes that I'm working on, 500 Miles by the Proclaimers, and Paint it Black (which is perfect for my vocal range!) by the Stones. There are a few others that I created cheat sheets for, but there is no guarantee that I'll ever work any of them into a set. They are more for fall backs if I run out of songs or don't feel like playing the usuals.




-----------




I'm a people watcher... (some may call it 'creeping')... but I prefer people watching. While spending much of the day here in Uncommon Grounds, I couldn't help but notice this somewhat tall, young woman in a light sundress. She was quite beautiful and sat at a table near me. When she first entered the cafe, she was toting a suitcase on wheels and carrying a yoga mat. Her arms were also filled other things (some papers and a book). She was holding all of this and somehow managed to hold a cell phone to her ear as well. Before choosing the table near me, she circled the cafe three times (still talking on the phone). Then, she put her stuff down at the table near me, picked all of her stuff back up and walked over to another table further away from, put all of her stuff down at that table, packed everything back up, and returned to the table that was near me. She stayed there this time, but only briefly, before leaving her stuff at the table and taking her phone conversation outside. She returned about five minutes later (still talking on the phone) and began rifling through a notebook and other papers. She was discussing dates and times and a traveling schedule that seemed really intense. She was saying that, yes, she could make it to Pittsburgh from New York City in so long as the driving time was less than such and such. She mentioned "flying out" at some such time this weekend and stated that she needs to be back by a certain day. She spoke very casually, as if traveling like this was no big deal. I assumed as such since she was in a cafe drinking coffee with a wheeling suitcase. After the phone call ended, she opened a book. Shortly after that, her phone rang and she began talking again, leaving her book open to the page she left off on. She talked for another period of time and returned to the book. Then, just a few minutes later, she put down the book (again keeping the page opened) and made another phone call. Shortly after that phone call, she packed all of her things up again and walked back to the bathroom. I noticed her leaving the cafe a few minutes later.

I'll never know why she travels so much or who she was talking to. People interest me. I like to hear why they do what they do. I think the reasons that I do what I do are compelling enough for me to keep a blog about them. I wish this woman had blogged what was going on in her mind during the whole situation... although, maybe nothing was going on in her mind and to her this is just the way things go. I, however, find it interesting.