First Night (Sort of)

When I wrote the post before this one (Last Night -- about my last night in my house), I had intended to follow it up with a post titled "First Night," which -- clearly -- would be about my first night in the new place. Well, I was thoroughly exhausted after moving into the new place and everything was a mess and I just didn't have the energy or desire to write about it.

Now that I feel like writing, I'll have to do a catch up.

Moving was pretty much uneventful and occurred without any unforeseen issues. It took hours upon hours and when it was finished, I couldn't move. The stairs of the new apartment killed me along with the sheer amount of stuff that was being moved. I didn't just move myself out of my house into my new apartment. I also moved a bunch of stuff of my dad's from the house to his storage unit.

I had accumulated a stuff in the house that I wasn't taking with me to the apartment. My dad decided to keep that stuff despite my protests to give it away.

After moving, I took a shower and passed out on my bed.

I didn't sleep very well the first night or the second night. It wasn't until a few nights in that I finally slept. I think it was partially because of the new place and partially because of my back from the moving.

There are noises that occur in the new place that are unfamiliar. I think over the first few nights, my awareness of noises was heightened. I have since grown accustomed and am sleeping quite well.

I have done a lot of unpacking, but the main living area still has unemptied boxes stacked here and there. I also haven't figured out where my PA system is going to hang out.

What I'm most happy about is being in such a small place. Instead of walking up and down stairs or from room to room to get something, I walk just a few feet. I vacuumed the entire apartment in about 4 minutes the other day. It's much more efficient than living in a house. Cleaning was a 4 plus hour chore every weekend. I can probably do it all in 20 minutes in the apartment.

One surprise is the laundromat. I was kind of dreading having to leave my residence to do laundry. I had always had a washer and dryer in my basement. The laundromat, as it turns out, saves a lot of time. Instead of taking roughly 6 hours to do three loads of laundry in one washer and one dryer, I can do them all in about an hour and a half tops. I love it. Saves so much time. And the laundromat is right across the street from a cafe. My plan is to grab breakfast during the dry cycle.

I like being able to walk a few buildings down to get food. There is pizza right next door and Chinese food a few buildings in the other direction. There is also a corner store a block away that makes subs.

The one thing that is preventing me from being super excited about the apartment is an odor... When I first came to check the place out, there was a stale smell in the hallway. The apartment itself was fine, though, so I didn't worry about it. When I moved in, the scent in the hallway didn't seem as a bad and, in fact, there were fewer and fewer times that I even noticed it. I have some candles going in the apartment itself when I'm here. Then I came home a few days ago and the scent in the hallway was pungent. It was that same stale smell, but multiplied... I walked up the stairs to my apartment. Then I noticed it in my apartment too. I'm not sure how to describe the smell... dirty socks with stale cigarette smoke? Four week old dog poo? I have candles going and the scent is still noticeable... I'm going to get a more serious candle tonight and see if Yankee Candle can combat it...

Other than the smell, I'm really loving apartment living. On that note, I'm off to do some laundry and have some breakfast.