Stepping Outside

I named the upcoming album Stepping Outside. This may sound familiar as the phrase is an integral part of my song For the First Time. I almost named For the First Time Stepping Outside, but decided that For the First Time fit better as the name of the song.

Stepping Outside works really well for the title of the album. Being that it's my first album, Stepping Outside is an indication that I'm putting myself out there. While I have been playing my songs for a long time at open mics and in videos and home recordings, this album is the first time that I have made my songs what I believe they are meant to be (full band, additional instruments). And I'm putting them out there in that form.

The other piece to this title is that Stepping Outside is a metaphor for experiencing things (I know; it's broad). The collection of songs on this album are all experiences (when are songs not experiences, though?).

The point is, it works as a title for the album.

I'm still not entirely certain of when the album will be released. My hope is that it will be out by the beginning of December.

We start mixing on Tuesday. Once mixing is complete, I'll have a better idea for a release date. I want to give myself enough time to make last minute adjustments to anything because I'll be miserable if I screw something up...

One thing I am certain of is the songs that will be on the album. While, I don't have the order nailed down yet, these are the songs:

The Girls' Already Gone
Count on Me for Rain
One and Only Home
For the First Time
One Shadow in the Sun
Frozen
Sink or Swim
Sweet Dreams
Summertime Stage
Little Paper Boat
Saving the World

11 songs.

This is the album cover:


A handful of really amazing musicians played on the album and every time I listen to these songs I'm impressed with what each of them has added. The guys from the North and South Dakotas played on The Girl's Already Gone. Mark (lead guitarist of the Dakotas) played guitar on four additional songs. My Foxmen mates, Zach and AJ played on a few songs each. And, Sonny Speed (who is producing and engineering the album) played a variety of instruments on just about every song. There are so many amazing things on the album that I can't even pick a favorite.

I can't wait to get it mixed and mastered and printed!