Gravy

Mashed potatoes. Gravy. Turkey. Stuffing. Rolls. Oh, those warm buttery rolls. There is something really wonderful about the common Thanksgiving dinner. There is an associated fulfilling warmth that follows the meal.

Today, I'm enjoying the above described meal while watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

This year, above others, I looked forward to eating Thanksgiving dinner more than I ever had. I wasn't really sure why.

As Smeagol argues with himself, and I await the warming up of a plate of seconds, I think I've decided that the warmth of the Thanksgiving dinner is more than just the temperature of the food.

When I was a child, I most looked forward to Thanksgiving for the days off from school. I would spend Thursday, Friday, and the weekend playing video games with my brother or visiting my cousins. There was often an outdoor game of football or something similar, as well.

I don't recall a disappointing Thanksgiving dinner in my youth.

As a child, I was safe in my parents' care. They provided me with a warm house, a warm meal, warm connections, warm laughter, and warm love on Thanksgiving. For me, sitting around the table on Thanksgiving is the picture perfect frame of reference of what a family is and, while a picture is worth a thousand words, the image -- itself -- can't adequately describe the feeling of warmth and fullness and the emotions that the image represents.

But times change and people grow up and apart. Physical distance prevents difficulties in coming together and divorces create divisions in families.

This year for Thanksgiving, I woke up around 9:00am. Turned the oven on and baked some Pilsbury cinnamon rolls. I cooked an entire pound of bacon and turned on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Around 1:00pm, I went out for coffee and picked up the turkey dinner that I had ordered from a nearby restaurant. I napped around 2:30pm, after my first dinner. It's 6:30pm, now, and I just finished eating my second plate of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and warm buttery rolls. The battle of Helm's Deep is raging on.

I am full. Well... my belly is full.

Tomorrow, I'm going to head over to New Hampshire to spend a couple days with my brother and his family. I wonder what his kids, my niece and nephew, ate this Thanksgiving. They all have various diets due to food allergies. Regardless, I'm certain there are warm feelings and fullness.