2009

I wasn't planning on writing about 2009 until 2010, but I'm awake and I can't sleep. I had a rather trying day at work today and have been feeling quite unfulfilled since then. My hope is that unloading some thoughts into this blog-thing will result in enough easing of my mind in order for me to fall asleep.

It has now become a ritual on the blog for me to write about the past year on New Year's day. First, however, I re-read the previous New Year's day post and compare and contrast (apparently) last year's self to this year's self. The 2008 post is found here.

The first thing I noticed in re-reading the post is that a lot of positives occurred throughout 2008. There were lights at the end of tunnels and I generally seemed to make steps in good directions. One thing that I didn't post about that day, but was on my mind non-the-less, was my relationship with Stephanie. It was about that time that things started to feel not-right. There were many discussions about my career and inability to keep my life in perfect order. I realized soon after the new year that I had to do something to fix things. I had a choice to make: show more love or try to get a job I didn't want to do, quit songwriting (which, I learned, consumed me), and somehow become better at keeping my life in perfect order. I chose the love route and attempted to show more affection (because Lennon said, "All you need is love."). I chose poorly and found myself living alone in August and completely disagreeing with John Lennon.

This year saw other endings as well. I stopped filming the Inside the Open Mic series. It just wasn't getting enough viewers (the last video filmed debuted six months ago and only has 50 views -- 20 of which are mine!).

I didn't write very often throughout the year. I did write one song early in the summer and finished a great song last week. But, as a song-writer, I should be writing more... even if it doesn't result in a song.

I didn't read as much as I would have liked. I found a couple of great books early on in the year (and I did manage to spend all of my Borders gift cards!) and bought some duds. There are still some unread books on the shelf, however, and I like that.

Even though I didn't write songs, I worked on a screen play that I had started in 2008. It's coming along quite nicely and looks great up in my head. I still need to complete the ending and organize Act III. Stuff to do in 2010, I guess.

I'm excited to learn to play the harmonica and add a new dimension to my songs. I got a small set of harmonica's for Christmas and have been messing around with them on and off. Not sure when I'll have it all figured out. I'll need to be comfortable with the whole thing before playing live like that.

One big thing that I noticed about last year's post was that I intended on using my tax return money to record. Well. I didn't get any money back from taxes and was not able to secure my financial situation (what with getting divorced and all) at the end of the year. So, I'm back to being not able to afford recording for a while; although, I'm hoping to get something done with home recording to have something to at least give out to people.

I didn't play many gigs this year. Just a few farmer's market things. However, I played on the street and in random places more than I have in past years.

I'm beginning to notice that my eyes are drooping and my thoughts are coming to me slower and slower. It's also incredibly windy out and my window is rattling. And my laptop battery is almost dead.

So, it's a good time to stop rambling about last year. I'm going to attempt to dream. I may focus my dreams toward goals that I'd like to accomplish in the new year. Or -- and more likely -- I will just dream about rock stardom, or certain actresses that I find to be alluring. Or maybe I won't dream at all...

2010. You're coming whether I want you or not.