Level Up!

I'm posting this here because I attempted to send the following message to Ride Aid via their website, but after I hit send, the page refreshed as if nothing had happened. So, I don't even know if it was received. Plus I like airing out my frustrations on the blog thing here.

So, the background info is that I went to Rite Aid to get some Allegra. There was a sign for 17.99. I didn't read the whole sign. I had to wait at the register because my allegra rang up at 19.99. Turns out you have to collect points to get certain discounts. I think this is bullshit and I don't have time to figure out some convoluted and pointless (ha!) point system in order to buy things at ADVERTISED discount prices.

Here is the letter I sent (or at least, I attempted to send it) to Rite Aid:

Come on, Rite Aid! Seriously? A point system in order to get advertised discounts?

I went to your store today to get some store brand Allegra. I enjoy the convenience of running in and out of your store when I run out of my allergy meds. I scanned the shelf quickly and one of your sale signs grabbed my attention. 2 dollars off. 17.99 instead of 19.99. I checked to see if I could get a better deal by buying a larger size. No. I grabbed the box for 17.99. It rang up 19.99. Granted, I didn't ready the entire sale sign up and down. I was running in and running out (as I said). I told the cashier that I thought it was on sale and explained that what I saw on the sign. She asked me if it was an "up" something sign or something "up." I don't remember. I don't want to know. I just want to get the item for the price on the sign in front of it. Your staff handled things appropriately. Another employee went to check the sign and explained that I need 250 points to get the sale price. I suppose I could have asked your staff what I need to do in order to get points, but I didn't want to. I was running in and running out. I don't want to play a game. I don't want to collect points (this is real life, not video games). I just want to get something for the price it is advertised for.

I understand that times are tough, even for a corporation as long-lasting as yours. I understand that you are trying to garner repeat customers by awarding loyalty. I disagree, however, with this ridiculous point system. The one way to win my loyalty is provide me with a hassle free shopping experience.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who was confused by the signage and who didn't care to take the time to understand the scoring, point system (I have absolutely no desire to "level up" like I'm playing pokemon). I'm sure others have questioned prices at the register and wasted your staff's time and the people who are standing in line's time. There was a woman in line behind me. She had to wait an extra 4 or 5 minutes while your staff checked the sign. How many times does 4 or 5 minutes get wasted because of this point system?

I worked for Rite Aid for a bit. I was an Eckerd employee for 10 years when Rite Aid bought us and converted us. Our signs while we were Eckerd AND Rite Aid were confusing to people enough without adding a point system to them. I can't even imagine how your core customer base (the ederly) have any idea about how much their purchases are going to cost if they had to be thinking about their point totals as well as coupons and your regular flyer sales.

I'm a 34 year old guy with a Masters Degree. Why do you need to know that? I don't know. Use it for market research. Mark me down as someone who is unhappy with the new point system for scoring discounts. I'm a run in and run out kind of guy. However, I'm really considering logging on to your competitors website and just ordering my next supply of allergy meds so I don't have to deal with the point system ever again.